What are the velocities of two objects after they collide?

• Thread starter Niko Bellic
  • Start date
In summary, the momentum conservation principle suggests that in a collision between two equally massive objects moving towards each other at equal velocities, the overall momentum of the objects should remain the same before and after the collision. This can result in various outcomes, depending on the type of collision (elastic or inelastic) and the conservation of kinetic energy. The resulting velocities can be mathematically calculated using the coefficient of restitution, with elastic collisions resulting in the objects bouncing back at the same speed and inelastic collisions resulting in the objects stopping. The force exerted on each object during the collision depends on the duration of the collision and the force may not be constant throughout the contact.
Niko Bellic
Let's say two equally massive objects move toward each other at equal velocities (let's use 30 kg and 5 m/s for the sake of having some numbers).

Will the objects bounce off of each other or will they both stop in place? If they bounce off each other, at what velocity?

The momentum conservation principle suggests that the overall momentum (mass*velocity) of the two objects should remain the same before and after collision (i.e., momentum gained by one object should be equal to the momentum lost by the other).

This still leaves room for ambiguity in resulting velocities. For instance, here's a solution where one object gains 150 units of momentum and the other loses 150 units, causing both objects to stop.

Code:
		[B]MOMENTEM[/B]		[B]MOMENTUM[/B]
		[B]BEFORE COLLISION[/B]	[B]AFTER COLLISION[/B]
[B]OBJECT A[/B]	(30kg)*(+5m/s)=150	(30kg)(0m/s)=0
[B]OBJECT B[/B]	(30kg)*(-5m/s)=-150	(30kg)(0m/s)=0
[B]OVERALL[/B]		0			0

Here's another valid solution where one object gains 225 units of momentum and the other loses 225 units, causing the objects to bounce off each other and head back from where they came from.

Code:
		[B]MOMENTEM[/B]		[B]MOMENTUM[/B]
		[B]BEFORE COLLISION[/B]	[B]AFTER COLLISION[/B]
[B]OBJECT A[/B]	(30kg)*(+5m/s)=150	(30kg)(-2.5m/s)=-75
[B]OBJECT B[/B]	(30kg)*(-5m/s)=-150	(30kg)(2.5m/s)=75
[B]OVERALL[/B]		0			0

But there's only one right solution, right? What is it? What other contraint besides momentum conservation am I missing?

How would one mathematically calculate the actual resulting velocities?

Thanks a ton!

Physics news on Phys.org
Niko Bellic said:
But there's only one right solution, right? What is it? What other contraint besides momentum conservation am I missing?
Energy.

Is kinetic energy conserved, or is some energy lost as heat, sound, etc.? Without that information, there is no unique answer.

See

Aha! Thanks! So it depends on whether the collision is elastic or inelastic, which tells you whether kinetic energy is conserved or not. Assuming a perfectly elastic collision, our new velocities for the collision described in my original post would be would be

[itex]
v_{1}=\frac{u_1(m_1-m_2)+2m_2u_2}{m_1+m_2}=v_{1}=\frac{+5(30-30)+2*30*(-5)}{30+30}=-5\\

v_{2}=\frac{u_2(m_2-m_1)+2m_1u_1}{m_1+m_2}=\frac{-5(30-30)+2*30*(+5)}{30+30}=+5
[/itex]

which makes sense intuitively: the objects bounce back at the same speed at which they came.

For a perfectly inelastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is 0, causing both objects to just stop when they hit each other.

For a collision that's neither perfectly inelastic or elastic, the objects bounce back at some speed less than 5 m/s

Okay, so I got a FOLLOWUP QUESTION

What force do the objects exert on each other in the different kinds of collisions?

Here's my attempt at answering my own questions:

[itex]Impulse = \int F dt = change In Momentum = mv_1-mu_1[/itex]

For an elastic collision, the change in momentum for one of the objects is is [itex]30*5-30*(-5)=300[/itex]

For an inelastic collision, the change in momentum for one of the objects is is [itex]30*5-30*(0)=150[/itex]

In either case, the force depends on how long the collision is. Well, how long is it? I have no idea. Also, force throughout the contact might not necessarily be constant either right?

Related to What are the velocities of two objects after they collide?

1. What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How are velocities calculated after a collision?

The velocities of two objects after a collision can be calculated by using the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision.

3. What factors can affect the velocities of objects after a collision?

The velocities of objects after a collision can be affected by factors such as the masses of the objects, the angle of collision, and the type of collision (e.g. elastic or inelastic).

4. Can the velocities of two objects after a collision be equal?

Yes, it is possible for the velocities of two objects after a collision to be equal. This can occur in a perfectly elastic collision, where there is no loss of kinetic energy and the objects bounce off each other with equal but opposite velocities.

5. How do the velocities of objects after a collision compare to their velocities before the collision?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum and kinetic energy of the objects are conserved, so the velocities after the collision will be equal to the velocities before the collision. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and the velocities after the collision will be less than the velocities before the collision.