What are the weights A and B in this system?

• Thread starter alephnull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulleys
In summary, the conversation was about solving a physics problem involving weights in static equilibrium using the principle of virtual work. The participants discussed different approaches, including using equations and Pythagorean's theorem to find the distances of the weights and resolving vectors to find the components of the strings. The conversation also touched on the importance of giving accurate and helpful advice in discussions and the possibility of learning from mistakes. The end result was a suggested method of solving the problem by assigning variables to the weights and using known values and angles to find the unknown weights A and B.
alephnull

Homework Statement

For some reason, this question's really stumped me. The text reads:
"The system shown is in static equilibrium. Use the principle of virtual work to find the weights A and B. Neglect the weight of the strings and the friction in the pulleys."
And has the accompanying diagram:
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9292/path2405.png
EDIT: oops; that 40° should read 45°; sorry about that.

For variables, I think we have:
A and B (obviously)
Perhaps rope tension?

Homework Equations

Not sure, to be honest.

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on what I've looked at previously with the principle of virtual work, I'd say I would have to generate a pair of equations based on the imagined movement of the weights and then solve the two simultaneously to get the values for A and B, but it's here it all falls down: I can't figure out how far the 1kg weight would rise if weight A fell, say, 2 metres. Of course, this method could be fundamentally flawed anyway and it wouldn't really matter.

(Yes, this is the second exercise from the exercise section of Feynman's Tips on Physics; having picked up the Feynman Lectures to try and learn some more advanced physics on my own than what is being taught in my school, there are more than a few gaps in my knowledge which lead to situations such as this where the question seems only tangentially related the the actual lecture)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As for the distances that the weights would move, you should assume that the distances you pull on the weights are extremely small. It may be best to move the middle weight, A, down a distance δ. If the distance pulled is very small, the weight should not move left or right, just down. Then you will have to use Pythagorean's theorem to figure out the change in lengths of the string from wieght A to either of the pulleys.

That's what I have come up with so far - and it gives you ONE equation to work with. The other equation, though, I'm not sure about yet - perhaps it could be if you move the wieght A a distance δ in the opposite direction (?).

Can't the sum of forces in the x and y direction help you out?

alephnull said:
Based on what I've looked at previously with the principle of virtual work, I'd say I would have to generate a pair of equations based on the imagined movement of the weights and then solve the two simultaneously to get the values for A and B, but it's here it all falls down: I can't figure out how far the 1kg weight would rise if weight A fell, say, 2 metres. Of course, this method could be fundamentally flawed anyway and it wouldn't really matter.

Hi alephnull
Welcome to PF !

attachment.php?attachmentid=42227&stc=1&d=1324967960.png

For your distance part ...

Consider the red triangle ... And use Pythagoras

[itex]a^2 = l^2 + h^2[/itex]

Now if A moves down by 1 meter ... new h is h+1 ... l is same ...

[itex]a'^2 = l^2 + (h+1)^2[/itex]

Now use there equations ...

BTW, why are you finding this ? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• path2405.png
    path2405.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 711
That does not seem like the right approach. There is no guarantee that the weight will go stright down - the weight could shift left/right.

2milehi said:
That does not seem like the right approach. There is no guarantee that the weight will go stright down - the weight could shift left/right.
I was just answering OP's question ... And the block won't go anywhere ... the question says that its in static equilibrium

cupid.callin said:
I was just answering OP's question ... And the block won't go anywhere ... the question says that its in static equilibrium
Then why state the equations with regards to A being pulled down one meter?

2milehi said:
Then why state the equations with regards to A being pulled down one meter?

As i said before, Because the OP asked how to find it ...
And if you look up you'll find this:

cupid.callin said:
BTW, why are you finding this ? :rolleyes:

That satisfies you ?

cupid.callin said:
As i said before, Because the OP asked how to find it ...
And if you look up you'll find this:
That satisfies you ?
And if the OP asks if crossing a busy highway is a good choice and you say to look both ways before crossing I would question your advice. The OP is going down the wrong road and you are helping him out. When giving advice one should give it to the best of their ability and one might have to steer the person asking the question.

2milehi said:
And if the OP asks if crossing a busy highway is a good choice and you say to look both ways before crossing I would question your advice. The OP is going down the wrong road and you are helping him out. When giving advice one should give it to the best of their ability and one might have to steer the person asking the question.

Cut it out, will ya? Why, for most of people on the website, winning an argument so important?
It was my mistake, happy now?
:rolleyes:

(But OP will still learn something from crossing the road:smile:)

Unless the OP gets hit by a car and dies and learns nothing. This is an open discussion where ideas are exchanged. I am not out to win an argument, but if something doesn't seem right, I will say so.

alephnull said:

Homework Statement

Does your book supply the answers? It would help if you gave the answers, along with the question, when known.

Last edited:
HELLO

this questions interests me.

Could you possibly go along this route.

Let the 1Kg mass= W1, A= W2 and B=W3

then Let the tension in String 1 = F1 string 2= F2 and string3 =F3 (see THE IMAGE HERE OTHERWISE THE FOLLOWING WON'T MAKE SENSE)

and so will F1=W1 F2 = W3 and F3=W2

Since you already know what W1 is (1kg= 9.8N) so you know F1. then you are given angles, so can you resolve vectors to give you vertical and horizontal components of each string, thus you'll have everything, and so you can find A and B.

See image (makes things clearer)
pulleys.png

am I right guys? anyone?

heartOFphysic said:
and so will F1=W1g F2 = W3g and F3=W2g
heartOFphysic method is good ...

Perhaps we can also use a very simple theorem here,
I don't remember the name but it goes something like this ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=42371&stc=1&d=1325491749.png

[itex]\Large{\frac{F_a}{sin a} = \frac{F_b}{sin b} = \frac{F_c}{sin c}}[/itex]

This might prove to be a bit lengthy here but its always good to know an extra method ...

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 781
heartOFphysic said:
this questions interests me.

Could you possibly go along this route.

Let the 1Kg mass= W1, A= W2 and B=W3

then Let the tension in String 1 = F1 string 2= F2 and string3 =F3 (see THE IMAGE HERE OTHERWISE THE FOLLOWING WON'T MAKE SENSE)

and so will F1=W1 F2 = W3 and F3=W2

Since you already know what W1 is (1kg= 9.8N) so you know F1. then you are given angles, so can you resolve vectors to give you vertical and horizontal components of each string, thus you'll have everything, and so you can find A and B.
There is nothing to prevent you using this method, but you should not anticipate getting any marks for doing so. The question states specifically the method to be used, and all students know that you ignore instructions to your peril. Resolution of forces is a good method for checking your answer, but is not suitable as your answer. Let me quote the instructions:
The text reads:
"The system shown is in static equilibrium. Use the principle of virtual work to find the weights A and B. Neglect the weight of the strings and the friction in the pulleys."

Related to What are the weights A and B in this system?

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs through the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force applied to an object.

How do pulleys work?

Pulleys work by using the principle of mechanical advantage. By distributing the weight of an object between multiple ropes and pulleys, the amount of force needed to lift the object is reduced.

What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed pulleys, movable pulleys, and compound pulleys. Fixed pulleys have a stationary axle and are used to change the direction of a force. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and are used to lift heavy objects with less force. Compound pulleys combine the principles of fixed and movable pulleys to provide a greater mechanical advantage.

What are the three weights in a pulley system known as?

The three weights in a pulley system are known as the load, the effort, and the fulcrum. The load is the object being lifted, the effort is the force applied to lift the load, and the fulcrum is the point where the rope or belt is attached to the pulley.

What are some real-world applications of pulleys and three weights?

Pulleys and three weights are used in many different industries and activities, such as construction, mining, transportation, and sports. Some common examples include cranes, elevators, zip lines, and rock climbing equipment.