What are these strange objects with circuitry, batteries, and magnets?

• Thread starter glondor
  • Start date
In summary: Maybe some kind of medical device? In summary, these objects were found on the floor of a building being demolished. The objects have a circuit on one end, a magnet on the opposite end, and a battery on the battery side. The writing on the battery cap says "These are bugs." There is no indication of what the objects are or what they do, but they are intriguing nonetheless.
glondor
I found these little objects on the floor of a building I am in the process of demolishing. I have no idea what they are or what they do, so I thought I would pop them on here to see if anyone can shed some light.
There is a circuit on one end, covered in clear plastic.
They unscrew, Inside there is a little tiny battery array that appears to have 2 cells.
The end oposite the circuit is a magnet.
There are 2 of them
Here is a link to some photos.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v697/23224/strange object/
IMG_8570.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those are bugs.

Or maybe some kind of legal monitoring device. I like to think they are bugs. What was the building you are demolishing?

A petro Canada gas station! Do you mean they are tracking devices or radio transmitters? What kind of bugs?
Thanks for the reply!

That's a pretty remarkable little circuit on that thing. And based on the pictures, it looks custom made. I'd def. consider talking it to a spy museum to see what they say.

Was the owner of the gas station an arab?

The only problem is that it would require changing the batteries. It would make more sense for a bug to be hooked into a power line.

I think they're tiny magnetic space invaders glow lights. Or musical cuff links, with the clip removed.

What does the writing in the battery cap say?

The owner was an Arab. The battery is a c/l button cell ag3. There are 2 tiny cells shrinkwrapped together. There are tiny rubber "o" rings to keep them sealed when screwed shut. A couple of little washers as well. The Battery side of the circuit piece is very presisely perforated with tiny square holes in a grid pattern with ! small round hole near the edge. I terms of construction it is built more with the attributes of a medical device than say, an auto part, if you get my meaning. Well made I guess is my point.
IMG_8574.jpg

Last edited:
You never know.....the gov. could have been listening to him.

I mean, looking at that circuit. Wow, its just SO small... it's not something you see everyday. And given the form factors are different on each of them indicates they are custom made things (or at least they look to be).

Whats on the opposite end? I saw something with holes like for a microphone.

But then again, what exactly would they listen to a guy in a gas station for? Hi Mr. Customer what pump are you on?

glondor said:
The owner was an Arab. The battery is a c/l button cell ag3. There are 2 tiny cells shrinkwrapped together. There are tiny rubber "o" rings to keep them sealed when screwed shut. A couple of little washers as well. The Battery side of the circuit piece is very presisely perforated with tiny square holes in a grid pattern with ! small round hole near the edge. I terms of construction it is built more with the attributes of a medical device than say, an auto part, if you get my meaning. Well made I guess is my point.

Eh, but the battery placed inside would totally block that grid. So, probably not for a microphone.

Puzzles me why they would have a mesh back there...the battery isn't going to over-heat on such a small device.

But don't you think the government's bugs wouldn't look so much like, well, bugs?

lisab said:
But don't you think the government's bugs wouldn't look so much like, well, bugs?
Presumably they were concealed with the magnet used for gripping in which case it wouldn't matter what they looked like as no-one was ever meant to see them.

Maybe they are tracking devices? Little transmitters? They would stick right nicely to a car...
IMG_8579.jpg

Cyrus said:
Eh, but the battery placed inside would totally block that grid. So, probably not for a microphone.

Puzzles me why they would have a mesh back there...the battery isn't going to over-heat on such a small device.
Mesh is used to filter out background noises such as wind and such in microphones. Maybe that's it's function?? I've never seen any commercial bugs that small and a quick look on the net confirms that which suggests gov't involvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Art said:
Mesh is used to filter out background noises such as wind and such in microphones. Maybe that's it's function?? I've never seen any commercial bugs that small and a quick look on the net confirms that which suggests gov't involvement.

No, what I'm saying is that the batter goes flush against that mesh. At least, it appears so from the picture. So unless there is a mic reciever there (which I don't see) I question the purpose of that mesh.

Looking at that bigger picture of the circuit. WOW! That's on the scale of what you would see inside a microprocessor. You need something very fancy to make that!

I'm going to vote bugs also. The government spies on a lot of people. They tapped my arabic professors phones and were spying on him. So why not a gas station clerk that could be part of the underground movement.

Did you put fresh batteries in them yet? They might light up and play jingle bells.

Actually, given the small, small, size of that thing. It could last for quite some time on that battery.

But it would have really bad transmitting range due to power losses 1/R^2. The person listening would have to be parked in a van pretty close to the thing.

This is really quite an amazing thing you found! Where did you find it? The location within the gas station.

Last edited:
The link isn't working for me. Are we having an Art Bell moment or is everyone else still able to access the pic?

Not a guess: They are decorative, high intensity, LED flashers.

The magnet normally allows them to be worn as earrings - I guess you are missing one piece - but maybe these are just intended to be attached to other objects.

Last edited:
Like this
http://www.flashingblinkylights.com/images/Blue-Red-Clips.gif
http://www.flashingblinkylights.com/flashing-earrings-c-114_5.html

Ivan Seeking said:

Aw.

The magnet normally allows them to be worn as earrings - I guess you are missing one piece - but maybe these are just intended to be attached to other objects.
Those'd be huge mofungo earrings. The depth of the things kinda suggests they are not. ALso the scoring on the sides suggests they were embedded into something.

Maybe they were used to flash some secret spy code in infra red!

I will open one of the little battery packs and see if I can determine the voltage. If I can I will apply the proper current and see if they light up! Great find IvanSeeking

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:

Awwww, MAnnnnnnnnnnnn. Ruined all our fun.

Those things are pretty amazing none-the-less. Look at how small those circuits are!

They are flashy blinky lights! 3v burned 1 out,, 1.5 volts, flashy blinky red and green. Interesting objects to say the least. Not quite as fun as spy stuff tho.

About seven years ago, some guy was selling these things in hotel lobby in Georgia [or somewhere around there]. I bought a couple for Tsu.

tribdog said:
Did you put fresh batteries in them yet? They might light up and play jingle bells.

Ivan Seeking said:
Like this
http://www.flashingblinkylights.com/images/Blue-Red-Clips.gif
http://www.flashingblinkylights.com/flashing-earrings-c-114_5.html

That was going to be my guess too. :rolleyes: If they didn't light up, I was going to ask if they vibrate as a second guess. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
That was going to be my guess too. :rolleyes: If they didn't light up, I was going to ask if they vibrate as a second guess. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Moonbear! This is a family place....jeezus.

heehee, I thought they were led's. One big clue was the rounded glass. I was embarrassed to say it though because I thought you'd be able to tell led's by looking at them.

OK, clever clogs, so they are flashy LED blinkers. Now, what for? They AIN'T earrings.

I still say, super secret espionage flashy SPY blinkers!

That's it Chi! They are Morse code spy blinker signaling thingies!

or ... they have a secret blinking sequence which causes a fatal epileptic seizure. Useful for assassinating rogue heads of state

Chi Meson said:
OK, clever clogs, so they are flashy LED blinkers. Now, what for? They AIN'T earrings.

According to that flashing blinky lights website Ivan posted, the ones with magnetic backs are "pins." The earrings are clip-ons, not magnetic.

according to the pics in the link (3rd one in particular) , these are two to three cm long, and then there's the magnet. These don't look like pins either.

I'm thinking (seriously now) they were intended to be fitted into bore holes, perhaps into some sort of eye-catching sign board.

edit:

a super secret SPY ... eye...catching...

message board...

:glum:

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
according to the pics in the link (3rd one in particular) , these are two to three cm long, and then there's the magnet.

I think that's both of them stuck together in that photo.

Maybe they're for flashing gang signs. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
I think that's both of them stuck together in that photo.
This thread is getting more disappointing by the second!

Because where would you go to buy such useless knick-knackery?

Like maybe some gas/convenience store?

Chi Meson said:

I still say, super secret espionage flashy SPY blinkers!

Maybe also bicycle blinker lights?

should I wait for Chi to say "super secret spy bicycle blinker lights?"

<h2>What are these strange objects with circuitry, batteries, and magnets?</h2><p>These objects are most likely electronic devices, such as a cell phone, laptop, or tablet. They contain circuitry, which is a network of electronic components that work together to perform specific functions. The batteries provide power to the device, and the magnets may be used for various purposes, such as data storage or to hold the device in place.</p><h2>How do these objects work?</h2><p>Electronic devices work by using electricity to power the circuitry, which then processes and stores information. The circuitry is made up of various components, such as transistors, resistors, and capacitors, which work together to control the flow of electricity and perform specific tasks. The batteries provide the necessary power to make the device function.</p><h2>What are the different types of electronic devices?</h2><p>There are countless types of electronic devices, ranging from small handheld devices like smartphones and tablets to larger devices like computers and televisions. They can also be categorized based on their functions, such as communication devices, entertainment devices, or household appliances.</p><h2>How have electronic devices evolved over time?</h2><p>Electronic devices have come a long way since their invention in the early 20th century. They have become smaller, more powerful, and more versatile. The development of new technologies, such as microchips and wireless communication, has greatly contributed to their evolution. They have also become more affordable and accessible to the general public.</p><h2>Are there any potential dangers associated with electronic devices?</h2><p>While electronic devices have greatly improved our lives, there are some potential dangers associated with their use. These include exposure to harmful radiation, eye strain from prolonged screen time, and addiction to technology. It is important to use electronic devices in moderation and take breaks to protect our health and well-being.</p>

FAQ: What are these strange objects with circuitry, batteries, and magnets?

What are these strange objects with circuitry, batteries, and magnets?

These objects are most likely electronic devices, such as a cell phone, laptop, or tablet. They contain circuitry, which is a network of electronic components that work together to perform specific functions. The batteries provide power to the device, and the magnets may be used for various purposes, such as data storage or to hold the device in place.

How do these objects work?

Electronic devices work by using electricity to power the circuitry, which then processes and stores information. The circuitry is made up of various components, such as transistors, resistors, and capacitors, which work together to control the flow of electricity and perform specific tasks. The batteries provide the necessary power to make the device function.

What are the different types of electronic devices?

There are countless types of electronic devices, ranging from small handheld devices like smartphones and tablets to larger devices like computers and televisions. They can also be categorized based on their functions, such as communication devices, entertainment devices, or household appliances.

How have electronic devices evolved over time?

Electronic devices have come a long way since their invention in the early 20th century. They have become smaller, more powerful, and more versatile. The development of new technologies, such as microchips and wireless communication, has greatly contributed to their evolution. They have also become more affordable and accessible to the general public.

Are there any potential dangers associated with electronic devices?

While electronic devices have greatly improved our lives, there are some potential dangers associated with their use. These include exposure to harmful radiation, eye strain from prolonged screen time, and addiction to technology. It is important to use electronic devices in moderation and take breaks to protect our health and well-being.

Back