What Are Your First Hand Experiences Studying for the PGRE?

In summary, the conversation was about studying for the Physics GRE and the speaker was looking for first-hand experience from others who have taken the exam. They mentioned a few resources, including a book called "Conquering the Physics GRE" and a website with practice tests and flashcards. They also mentioned wanting to start a new thread for interactive discussion on the topic.
EJC
I'm taking the PGRE in about 3 months and haven't really began studying. There's loads of study tips out there already, but I'm looking for any first hand experience anyone has had with taking/studying for the PGRE. I've found that no matter what tips you can find, first hand experience is almost always more useful.

Thanks in advance :oldshy:

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, the #1 resource I would recommend is "Conquering the Physics GRE", you can get it on Amazon for like $40.

The #2 resource I would recommend is

http://pages.physics.cornell.edu/~ajd268/Notes/PGRE-Notes.pdf

This covers very briefly a lot of the material on the GRE, particularly the equations you will need to memorize (unless you're a genius and can derive everything). I am in the process of making flashcards from this now.

Also, take some of the old exams. They're available here, except for the 2008 exam. Solutions are also available online. http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/undergrad/ugs_gre.php

Likes EJC
I appreciate the reply. I have "Conquering the Physics GRE," and have looked at practice tests.

I'm looking for any first hand experience on top of what these sorts of resources can give. Instead of searching other forums, I wanted to start a new thread here so that it could be interactive.

FAQ: What Are Your First Hand Experiences Studying for the PGRE?

What is the PGRE?

The PGRE, or Physics Graduate Record Examination, is a standardized test used to assess the knowledge and understanding of physics concepts for individuals applying to graduate programs in physics.

What is the purpose of the PGRE?

The purpose of the PGRE is to provide a standardized measure of an individual's physics knowledge and skills, which can be used by graduate programs to assess an applicant's potential for success in their program. It is also used to compare applicants to each other and to national averages.

When should I take the PGRE?

The PGRE is typically taken in the fall of the year before an individual plans to start graduate school. This allows enough time for the scores to be sent to the graduate programs before their application deadlines. It is recommended to take the PGRE after completing undergraduate physics courses, as the exam covers material from these classes.

How should I prepare for the PGRE?

To prepare for the PGRE, individuals should review their undergraduate physics coursework and practice with sample questions and exams. It is also helpful to review concepts and formulas that may not have been covered in class, as well as familiarize oneself with the format of the exam and its time constraints.

What is a good score on the PGRE?

A good score on the PGRE is typically considered to be above the 80th percentile, which means that the individual scored better than 80% of the test-takers. However, the definition of a good score may vary depending on the specific graduate program's requirements and the competitiveness of the applicant pool.