What are your thoughts on getting an EE degree?

In summary, electrical engineering is a great choice if you enjoy it and want a stable career. The possible jobs are almost limitless.
WilkinsMicawber
I'm interested in electronics and enjoy coding. I'm 25, have a bachelor's in marketing, and currently have a job that has nothing to do with my major. I'm tired of being unchallenged and want to do it right this time. I like to code, but I feel like getting a job with a bachelor's in coding is more difficult than getting one in EE. My coding background consists of coding a website for my computer repair business and games in C# as a hobby.

Electrical Engineering seems like a responsible choice, but I'm finding it difficult to find quality information on the state of the industry. For those of you who know something, do you believe electrical engineering is an in-demand, stable career?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Senior programmers make loads of money. The most responsible thing is to do what you enjoy. Electrical engineering is a great choice if you enjoy it. The possible jobs are almost limitless.

In coding my website, I was instilled with a fear of my lack of visual creativity. When I think about the ways to make money coding, all I can think of is coding my own program or having tons of experience out of the gate. My inclination is towards EE because the barrier to entry is higher, and when looking at the courses for each major, EE is much more impressive-seeming.

WilkinsMicawber said:
When I think about the ways to make money coding, all I can think of is coding my own program or having tons of experience out of the gate.
Check any job search site and you'll find thousands and thousands of open jobs for programmers.

I like that the courseload for EE is challenging. Perhaps there will be a way to get a job coding as an electrical engineer, or maybe i'll change my major once I become more educated about the different opportunities. Thnx for the replies.

You could double major, minor or just study programming on the site. It would be very beneficial.

WilkinsMicawber said:
I like that the courseload for EE is challenging. Perhaps there will be a way to get a job coding as an electrical engineer, or maybe i'll change my major once I become more educated about the different opportunities. Thnx for the replies.
EE is a very broad field. It encapsulates everything from computer engineering to power electronics and rf/microwave work.
I would recommend going for computer engineering. At some schools, its simply a cluster of electives in the EE major; at other schools, it is a concentration in the EE major; and at other schools, it is it's own major.

Think of computer engineering as the bridge between computer science (pure coding) and ee (hardware and low level coding).

computer engineering coursework can cover everything from how hardware works (microprocessors, digital circuitry, FPGAs) to low level software to high level software. Friends of mine that were CEs took comp sci electives and friends took ee electives. I think that would be a good fit for you, based on the limited amount I know.

I just recently graduated with an EE degree (focused on Computer engineering) previous I have a CS degree as well.

If you go the EE route, as previously mentioned if you want to work as a coder go into the computer engineering field if you can.
I graduated with a couple people who are working as software developers now, so getting a coding job is definitely doable. But if your heart is set on programming why not consider a CS degree? I found the CS degree to be less challenging, it was also significantly more coding based (not sure if that has changed). The downside is you can pretty much only do programming with CS.

If you do engineering you may find another aspect that you might enjoy more.

Here's a contrarian view. The purpose of education is to learn, not to get a job.

So take courses to develop your mind. I got an EE degree because I wanted to learn math and other things I couldn't learn on my own. I have lots of respect for the liberal arts, but anyone with a library card can learn what they teach.

Great advances have been made since I was in school in coding. New algorithms abound. I'm not sure if you need college to learn these, but I know I did need college to learn engineering math.

College costs money. Spending that on something you could learn better by yourself is a waste. Learn it yourself and find a cheap degree mill. So my advice is to learn what you want to learn and can't learn without teachers. Money isn't a substitute for personal development.

heres what I'm doing, 6 years in ee, 4 years in cs, a 2 years for an mba

true, the best things in life are free but you can give um to the birds and bees I want money!

Currently in the middle of an EE degree. Re-enrolled at the age of 27. I would agree with the above comments on a couple of things:

I think an EE degree is more challenging than a CS degree. I have many friends in the CS program; it appears challenging, but the way engineering is structured at most universities is just more intense than other undergraduate degrees. The intensity of the curricula opens the door to mastering several disciplines within one degree.

An EE degree will likely give you the opportunity to learn things that you cannot learn on your own. I am talking about math primarily. You really need the fundamental 7-10 math courses that an EE takes to be taught by a mathematician (Linear Algebra and Calculus through ODE's, PDE's and some Complex Analysis etc). There does not seem to be a way around this. There are some CS theory topics that have this flavour, but I am confident you can become an excellent programmer by studying on your own, and making use of the few CS courses you take in an EE or CE degree.

Best of luck.

Also, get started soon!

You may not feel old at 25, but just wait till a 22 year old EIT is treating you like it is your first day out of the academy. When you are near thirty with many years of valid work experience behind you it can be uncomfortable feeling to come into a brand new challenging field with people many years your junior seemingly experts. Best to get this sort of thing out of the way before your thirties imo! Source of discomfort: I had my first internship at the age of 28.

Related to What are your thoughts on getting an EE degree?

1. What are the job opportunities available for someone with an EE degree?

There are a variety of job opportunities available for individuals with an EE degree, including roles in electrical engineering, computer engineering, telecommunications, and energy systems. Additionally, many industries such as automotive, aerospace, and healthcare also require the expertise of electrical engineers.

2. How long does it typically take to complete an EE degree program?

The length of an EE degree program varies, but most undergraduate programs take 4 years to complete. Graduate programs can last an additional 2-3 years, depending on the level of degree pursued.

3. Is it necessary to have strong math and science skills to excel in an EE degree program?

While a strong foundation in math and science can be helpful, it is not absolutely necessary to excel in an EE degree program. Many programs offer introductory courses to help students build their skills and there are also resources available such as tutoring and study groups.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for success in a career with an EE degree?

Some important skills and qualities for success in an EE degree program and career include problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. Additionally, being adaptable and able to learn new technologies and techniques is important in the constantly evolving field of electrical engineering.

5. What are the potential salary ranges for someone with an EE degree?

The salary for individuals with an EE degree can vary depending on factors such as job title, industry, and experience. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for electrical engineers in 2020 was $101,250. Salaries can also increase with advanced degrees and additional certifications.