What areas of physics should I focus on as a 16-year-old aspiring scientist?

• Thread starter PetSounds
  • Start date
In summary, as a 16-year-old interested in physics, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental areas of mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. It is not necessary to specialize in a specific area at this age, but it is beneficial to have a broad understanding of all the areas to develop critical thinking skills. Resources such as books, videos, lectures, and science fairs can help you learn about different areas of physics, and there is no specific order in which you should learn them. You can also apply your knowledge of physics through projects, experiments, and research to make a positive impact in your community.
PetSounds
I'm a 16-year-old home-schooled boy. After Grade 12, I plan on studying physics, so I thought I'd see what I'd be getting myself into. Hopefully I can contribute despite my youth and inexperience.

And yes, I realize a Richard Feynman avatar on a physics forum is a cliché.

Physics news on Phys.org
PetSounds said:
I'm a 16-year-old home-schooled boy. After Grade 12, I plan on studying physics, so I thought I'd see what I'd be getting myself into. Hopefully I can contribute despite my youth and inexperience.

And yes, I realize a Richard Feynman avatar on a physics forum is a cliché.
Welcome PetSounds, can't do much better than a Feynman avatar!

Welcome. Home schooling, like ANY schooling, can be good or bad. I hope yours has been good. How much math have you studied?

phinds said:
Welcome. Home schooling, like ANY schooling, can be good or bad. I hope yours has been good. How much math have you studied?

I'm currently taking first-year university calculus. I think my schooling's pretty good.

PetSounds said:
I'm currently taking first-year university calculus. I think my schooling's pretty good.
Great. Sounds like you'll do well here. Welcome.

phinds said:
Great. Sounds like you'll do well here. Welcome.

Thanks. To be honest, I'm not sure where to start posting, since everything seems a bit over my head. Any suggestions?

PetSounds said:
Thanks. To be honest, I'm not sure where to start posting, since everything seems a bit over my head. Any suggestions?
It's best to just spend some time reading. I spent quite a while reading before I started posting. I wanted to know what kind of posts were acceptable and be careful not to repeat recently asked questions. Then, if you have questions about something you've read, be sure to link to the source of what you didn't understand so that we can see what you read.

Also make sure you've read the rules, both the Global Guidelines https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/ as well as any sub-forum specific rules that will be pinned near the top of that's subforum page.

I agree w/ everything Evo said and would add that you should give some though to what area you want to focus on lest you spread yourself too thin. For example, if you attack Quantum Mechanics and Cosmology both at the same time, you are likely to get a headache. Actually either one will likely give you a headache at first :smile:

Related to What areas of physics should I focus on as a 16-year-old aspiring scientist?

1. What are the fundamental areas of physics that I should focus on as a 16-year-old?

As a 16-year-old aspiring scientist, it is important to have a strong foundation in the fundamental areas of physics. These include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. These areas cover the basic principles of motion, energy, forces, electricity and magnetism, light, and the behavior of matter at a microscopic level.

2. Should I specialize in a specific area of physics at this age?

It is not necessary to specialize in a specific area of physics at such a young age. It is important to have a broad understanding of all the fundamental areas of physics, as this will help you develop critical thinking skills and a strong scientific mindset. However, if you have a particular interest in a specific area, it is perfectly fine to explore it further.

3. What resources can I use to learn about different areas of physics?

There are many resources available for learning about different areas of physics. You can start by reading books, watching educational videos, attending lectures or workshops, and participating in science fairs or competitions. You can also reach out to your teachers, mentors, or local science organizations for guidance and resources.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should learn about different areas of physics?

There is no specific order in which you should learn about different areas of physics. However, it is recommended to start with the fundamental areas and gradually move on to more advanced topics. It is also important to continuously review and reinforce your understanding of the basic principles as you progress to more complex concepts.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of physics at this age?

There are many ways to apply your knowledge of physics at a young age. You can participate in science projects, experiments, or competitions, join a science club or team, or even conduct your own research. You can also use your understanding of physics to solve real-world problems and make a positive impact in your community.