What Axioms Justify the Simplification of Polynomial Expressions?

In summary, the axioms used in the proof of the equality above are associativity of addition, commutativity of addition, distributivity of addition, and real numbers.
paulmdrdo1
in this problem we drop the use of parentheses when this step is justified by associative axioms. thus we write $\displaystyle x^2+2x+3\,\,instead\,\,of\,\,\left(x^2+2x\right)+3\,or\,x^2+\left(2x+3\right)$. tell what axioms justify the statement:

1. $\displaystyle \left(x^2+2x+5\right)+\left(x^2+3x+1\right)\,=\, \left(1+1\right)x^2+\left(2+3\right)x+ \left(5+1\right)$

i don't understand the question.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
in this problem we drop the use of parentheses when this step is justified by associative axioms. thus we write $\displaystyle x^2+2x+3\,\,instead\,\,of\,\,\left(x^2+2x\right)+3\,or\,x^2+\left(2x+3\right)$. tell what axioms justify the statement:

1. $\displaystyle \left(x^2+2x+5\right)+\left(x^2+3x+1\right)\,=\, \left(1+1\right)x^2+\left(2+3\right)x+ \left(5+1\right)$

You first have to prove: (a + b) + c = a + (b + c) = a + b + c. (I'm assuming the final form is meant to suggest addition of the terms in any order.)

Then for problem 1 use the above result to remove the parenthesis, use commutivity of addition to rearrange the terms, then use the distributive property to factor.

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
why did you use associativity of addition?

i still don't understand what the question means.

paulmdrdo said:
i still don't understand what the question means.
I'm assuming that if the addition is associative and commutative then we can show
(a + b) + c = (a + c) + b = (b + c) + a ... = a + b + c because we can show that order doesn't matter. So we simply call it a + b + c.

The problem is asking you to use this to remove the parenthesis in the following:
[tex](x^2 + 2x + 5) + (x^2 + 3x + 1) = x^2 + 2x + 5 + x^2 + 3x + 1[/tex]

To get to the final form you can use commutivity to rearrange the terms, then use the distributive property to factor them to the final form.

-Dan

paulmdrdo said:
tell what axioms justify the statement:

The answer to this question should be a list of axioms. The axioms in question are used in a proof of the equality above. Roughly speaking, a proof in this case is a chain of expressions $E_1=E_2=\dots=E_n$ where each $E_i$ has some subexpression $e$, $E_{i+1}$ is obtained from $E_i$ by replacing $e$ with $e'$ and $e=e'$ or $e'=e$ is an instance of an axiom of real numbers. For example, a proof may start with \[(x^2 + 2x + 5) + (x^2 + 3x + 1)=(1\cdot x^2 + 2x + 5) + (x^2 + 3x + 1)\]Here $E_1$ is $(x^2 + 2x + 5) + (x^2 + 3x + 1)$, $e$ is $x^2$ and $e'$ is $1\cdot x^2$. The axiom used here is $1\cdot x=x$ for all $x$, and $1\cdot x^2=x^2$ is its instance.

So you need to list all axioms that are used in the chain of equalities \[(x^2+2x+5)+(x^2+3x+1)=\dots=(1+1)x^2+(2+3)x+ (5+1)\]

FAQ: What Axioms Justify the Simplification of Polynomial Expressions?

1. What are axioms for the real numbers?

The axioms for the real numbers are a set of fundamental principles that define the properties and operations of the real numbers. These axioms include the properties of addition, multiplication, and order, as well as the existence of an identity element and the completeness property.

2. Why are axioms important in mathematics?

Axioms provide a solid foundation for mathematical reasoning and ensure that all mathematical arguments are based on logical and consistent principles. They also help to define the properties and relationships between mathematical objects, such as the real numbers.

3. What is the completeness axiom for real numbers?

The completeness axiom states that every non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above has a least upper bound, or supremum. This axiom is important because it guarantees the existence of real numbers for all possible values, allowing for more precise and accurate calculations and measurements.

4. How do the axioms for real numbers differ from axioms for other number systems?

The axioms for real numbers are unique to this specific number system and differ from axioms for other number systems, such as natural numbers or complex numbers. The axioms for real numbers are designed to define the unique properties and operations of this particular number system, while still being consistent with the broader principles of mathematics.

5. Can the axioms for real numbers be proven?

The axioms for real numbers are generally considered to be self-evident and are not proven, but rather accepted as the basis for mathematical reasoning. However, they can be logically derived from other axioms, such as the axioms for set theory, which helps to demonstrate their consistency and validity.