What Book Do You Recommend for Somebody that Has Never Taken physics?

In summary, there are many great books for beginners in physics, but "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking is highly recommended for its comprehensive and engaging overview of key concepts. For those looking for a simpler explanation of physics, "Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner is a great option. "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman covers both theory and practical applications, while "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene is a highly recommended book for understanding the latest developments in the field. Finally, for a more fun and engaging approach to learning physics, "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick is a great choice.
adelin
I trying to self-study Basic Physics this summer.

What book do you recommend for this task?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help to know your grade in school and your background in math and other sciences.

marcusl said:
It would help to know your grade in school and your background in math and other sciences.

I am In college right now.

I have only taken pre-calculus

I am planning to take physics with calculus next semester

Last edited:

FAQ: What Book Do You Recommend for Somebody that Has Never Taken physics?

1. What is the best book for someone with no prior knowledge of physics?

There are many great books for beginners in physics, but one highly recommended book is "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. It provides a comprehensive overview of key concepts in physics in an accessible and engaging manner.

2. Is there a book that explains physics in a simpler way?

Yes, there are several books that break down complex physics concepts into simpler terms. "Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner is a great option for beginners as it covers all the basics in an easy-to-understand format.

3. Can you recommend a book that includes both theory and practical applications of physics?

"The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman is a highly acclaimed book that not only covers the core principles of physics but also includes real-world examples and applications. It is a great resource for gaining a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. What book would you suggest for someone who wants to understand the latest developments in physics?

"The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene is a highly recommended book for those interested in the latest advancements in physics. It delves into topics such as string theory and the concept of multiple dimensions in a thought-provoking and accessible way.

5. Is there a book that makes learning physics fun and engaging?

Yes, "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick is a fun and humorous book that uses illustrations and comics to explain complex physics concepts. It is a great option for those who want to approach physics in a more light-hearted and entertaining manner.