What Book Do You Recommend for Somebody that Has Never Taken physics?

In summary, if you are planning to take Calculus Base Physics next year without prior experience in physics, the recommended book is Holt Physics by Serway and Faughn. It has a good mix of mathematical and conceptual thinking, with a focus on vector-based mechanics. It can also help improve your problem-solving skills in mathematics. Additionally, you can refer to resources like the Problem Solving Strategy and How to Solve It for further improvement.
adelin
I am planning to take Calculus Base Physics next year, but I have never taken physics before.

What book do you recommend to learn Basic Physics and do well in calculus Base Physics?

My mathematical background...

I have taken Pre-Calculus and I got an A-. I think the class was too easy, so I am doing some Trigonometry to make sure that I am ready for my Calculus class.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend the Holt Physics book, by Serway and Faughn. That's the book I ended up teaching out of, and the students really liked it. I liked it, because I thought it had a good mix of mathematical and conceptual thinking. It includes the full vector-based approach to mechanics (something conspicuously lacking in some conceptual approaches). I think it's a great book for self-study.

Ackbeet said:
I recommend the Holt Physics book, by Serway and Faughn. That's the book I ended up teaching out of, and the students really liked it. I liked it, because I thought it had a good mix of mathematical and conceptual thinking. It includes the full vector-based approach to mechanics (something conspicuously lacking in some conceptual approaches). I think it's a great book for self-study.
thank you for the information.

adelin said:
thank you for the information.

You're welcome!

Ackbeet said:
You're welcome!

Do you think that the physics book would be able to improve my mathematics problem solving skill too?

adelin said:
Do you think that the physics book would be able to improve my mathematics problem solving skill too?

Some. I would point you to the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f22/problem-solving-strategy-28/ for help solving physics problems. There's a Dynamics version specifically for vector-based problems, also on the same link.

As for math proper, typically you need very strong algebra skills, as well as a familiarity with the basics of geometry and trigonometry. That is, until you get to the real physics: calculus-based physics.

Likes 1 person
They go hand-in-hand. If you are deficient or unpracticed in certain methods, you may find it difficult but not impossible. If you're completely lacking in certain mathematical skills, you made need to additionally work from a calculus text.

Problem solving as a whole will increase with the more types problems you do.

Cheers

Ackbeet said:
Some. I would point you to the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f22/problem-solving-strategy-28/ for help solving physics problems. There's a Dynamics version specifically for vector-based problems, also on the same link.

As for math proper, typically you need very strong algebra skills, as well as a familiarity with the basics of geometry and trigonometry. That is, until you get to the real physics: calculus-based physics.

My main problem in math. it's when it comes to the application of the material that I have learned.

What do you recommend to read or do to improve this skills?

adelin said:
My main problem in math. it's when it comes to the application of the material that I have learned.

What do you recommend to read or do to improve this skills?

The most helpful book is probably Mathematics for the Nonmathematician, by Morris Kline. This does pretty much all of high-school mathematics (pre-calculus), in a very applied manner.

You might also find How to Solve It, by George Polya, helpful. This is a wonderful resource for problem-solving in general.

FAQ: What Book Do You Recommend for Somebody that Has Never Taken physics?

What book do you recommend for somebody that has never taken physics?

There are many great books that can introduce someone to the fascinating world of physics. Some popular recommendations include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman.

What concepts should the book cover?

The book should cover the fundamental concepts of physics, such as motion, forces, energy, and the laws of thermodynamics. It should also introduce key topics like relativity, quantum mechanics, and the structure of the universe.

Is there a specific level or difficulty of the book that you recommend?

It is best to choose a book that matches your current level of understanding. If you have never taken physics before, it may be helpful to start with a book written for beginners. However, if you have some background knowledge, you may want to challenge yourself with a more advanced book.

Are there any interactive or visual resources included in the book?

Many physics books include diagrams, illustrations, and other visual aids to help explain complex concepts. Some books also come with online resources, such as simulations or video lectures, to further enhance the learning experience.

Can you recommend a book that is both informative and engaging?

Yes, "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kakalios is a fun and informative book that uses superheroes to explain physics concepts. Other engaging options include "The Quantum World" by Kenneth Ford and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene.