What book on String theory or LQG is recommended for pleasure reading?

In summary, people think that the book, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, is a good choice for someone looking for a less usual book to read for pleasure.
Tom McCurdy
What book should I read for pleasure... that's not too large hopefully about either String theory or LQG. I have already read the Elegant Universe. I have to read a book for class.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom McCurdy said:
What book should I read for pleasure... that's not too large hopefully about either String theory or LQG. I have already read the Elegant Universe. I have to read a book for class.

the only thing I can think of the might fill the bill is Brian Greene's
latest

I remember you enjoyed "Elegant"
so you like his style and can read the next book for pleasure
it should be an easy read, compared with books about LQG I can think of,
it is about String (thus hits one of your two targets)
you can read it for class, and do a book report that both the teacher and some other students will understand
so it seems like the only choice.

I can't give a direct recommendation because i haven't read any Brian Greene.

If you want something less usual, there are two books by Lee Smolin:

The Life of the Cosmos

Three Roads to Quantum Gravity

either would probably fill the bill and you might get some new ideas in the bargain

I read both the elegant universe and his latest one. I forget the name right nowl..

I do like his writing style, he always seems to work homer simpson in ;p He can reach the common man lol

The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene is pretty good, but it's lengthier than Smolin's Three Roads to Quantum Gravity. I would recommend Three Roads to Quantum Gravity. It gives you a little taste of something other than string theory.

Paden Roder

thanks, I also have been reading reviews on fabric of the cosmos and people say it just restates what the elegant universe did.

Fabric of the Cosmos ends up with a rapid survey of what's in Elegant Universe but from a different perspective, and it does the history of twentieth century quantum theory which a lot of other books do too. I found that Greene's insight is a reason to read the book, but not a reason sufficient to make me want to buy it.

Oh I already bought the book, I have a large collection of books I have yet to read that I bought on String theory and Quantum physics

i'll be back with a list sometime

What would people think about reading

Quantum: A guide for the perplexed
Jim Al-Kahalili

It seems to have awesome reviews at amazon and I already own it so I think I am going to start reading it.

FAQ: What book on String theory or LQG is recommended for pleasure reading?

1. What is String Theory and LQG?

String Theory and LQG (Loop Quantum Gravity) are two competing theories in physics that attempt to explain the fundamental nature of the universe. They both propose that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but rather tiny strings or loops.

2. What is the difference between String Theory and LQG?

The main difference between String Theory and LQG is their approach to incorporating gravity into the theory. String Theory uses a quantum version of general relativity, while LQG is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and attempts to quantize space itself.

3. What are the potential applications of String Theory and LQG?

Both String Theory and LQG have the potential to provide a unified theory of all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. This could lead to a deeper understanding of the laws of physics and potentially new technologies.

4. Are there any experimental evidence for String Theory and LQG?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence that definitively supports either String Theory or LQG. However, some predictions of String Theory, such as the existence of extra dimensions, have been explored in high energy particle colliders.

5. What are the criticisms of String Theory and LQG?

Some critics argue that String Theory and LQG are currently untestable and therefore not scientifically valid. Others argue that they both have their own limitations and may not be the complete theory of everything as originally proposed.