What book to use to get familiar with the epsilon-delta stuff?

• Thread starter theoristo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, two recommended books for familiarizing oneself with definitions that contain the phrase “given any positive epsilon, however small, delta can be found such that . . .” are "Calculus" by Michael Spivak and "Elementary Analysis: The Theory of Calculus" by Kenneth Ross. Both assume prior knowledge of calculus and may require additional resources such as a logic or proof book. The first book is more conceptual while the second includes multivariable topics. It is also noted that the concept of limits, which is essential in understanding these definitions, can be learned from Spivak's book.
theoristo
What book do you recommend to use to get familiar with definitions that usually contain the phrase “given any positive epsilon, however small, delta can be found such that . . .”:wink:thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If I could go back I'd learn from Spivak, Calculus.

Likes 1 person
There are many ways to answer this question.

Here are two cheap books that would give you a rather complete understanding. The first is more conceptual while the second includes multivariable topics. Both assume that you know calculus. But to get value from these, you'll probably need a logic or proof book as well as some dedication.

Without doing the whole proof thing, I'm not sure what to suggest. I'll let others who are more familiar with the calculus books that are out there answer.

Books:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486650383/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486457958/?tag=pfamazon01-20

PS. I should add that I interpret "get familiar with definitions that use epsilon and delta" to mean, getting familiar with the definitions, understanding them in the context of the theory of calculus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Regarding Spivak's book, I quote what I wrote in the more recent thread:

I have only read the first edition of Spivak and for me, the problems were a little too difficult and left me feeling beat up after solving them. But for the right reader, it would be a highly enjoyable read for sure.

I learned the concept from spivak. It took me a very long time to understand the concept of a limit. However once I really got it it was surprisingly easy to apply the concept in more general settings (metric spaces, measure theory, etc).

FAQ: What book to use to get familiar with the epsilon-delta stuff?

1. What is the best book to use for getting familiar with the epsilon-delta stuff?

The best book to use for getting familiar with the epsilon-delta stuff is "Introduction to Analysis" by Arthur Mattuck. This book provides a clear and thorough introduction to the concepts of epsilon-delta proofs and is highly recommended by many mathematics professors.

2. Is there a specific prerequisite knowledge needed before using a book to learn epsilon-delta proofs?

Yes, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of basic calculus and mathematical reasoning before diving into epsilon-delta proofs. Some knowledge of real analysis and mathematical proofs can also be helpful.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a book for learning epsilon-delta proofs?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, practice problems, and interactive tutorials that can supplement a book for learning epsilon-delta proofs. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Brilliant.

4. How much time should I dedicate to studying from a book to get familiar with the epsilon-delta stuff?

The amount of time needed to get familiar with epsilon-delta proofs varies for each individual. However, it is recommended to dedicate consistent and regular study sessions to fully understand the concepts and practice solving problems. It may take several weeks to a few months to become comfortable with epsilon-delta proofs.

5. Are there any tips for effectively using a book to learn epsilon-delta proofs?

Yes, here are a few tips for effectively using a book to learn epsilon-delta proofs:
- Start with a basic understanding of the concepts and definitions before attempting to solve problems.
- Read the material slowly and carefully, making sure to understand each step.
- Take notes and write out the proofs step by step to fully grasp the reasoning behind each statement.
- Practice solving problems and check your solutions with the book.
- Seek help from a tutor or professor if you are struggling with a particular concept.