What books should I be reading if I want to recreate the Daedalus 88? (human powered flight)

mad_theologian
TL;DR Summary
See title
Daedalus 88 is a human powered aircraft built in 1988 by MIT students. I'm trying to find research papers describing the construction process but can't find anything.

So I'm asking here: what books should I be reading to start building this? I

My math skills are up to basic calculus. Last time I learned physics was high school and it wasn't calculus based. My engineering experience is 10 years of experience as a software engineer, though I have quit coding.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
What in particular are you looking for? The theory behind the design decisions?
I'd honestly recommend starting with the sources in the Wikipedia page, especially some of the archived pages they have listed. There's some much more extensive listings of resources there.

Likes berkeman
Welcome to PF.

mad_theologian said:
So I'm asking here: what books should I be reading to start building this?
Are you planning on flying this craft yourself, or getting a semi-pro bicycle athlete to fly it? How good is your bicycle fitness? :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Are you planning on flying this craft yourself, or getting a semi-pro bicycle athlete to fly it? How good is your bicycle fitness? :smile:
Ha, I've always been athletic. Maybe I can produce a more efficient aircraft

mad_theologian said:
Maybe I can produce a more efficient aircraft
Not likely, IMO. Probably the best you can do is try to reproduce the craft, and train your behind off riding your road bike for a few months on challenging uphill courses to build your power and stamina. You won't be crossing any English Channels or similar, but maybe you could duplicate something like the Wright Brothers' first flight at Kitty Hawk. :wink:

Likes Flyboy