What can I do to prepare for Calculus over the summer?

In summary, a student is planning to take precalculus and calculus classes at UC Davis but is concerned about their previous struggles with math. They are currently taking an intermediate algebra class at a community college and are wondering if they need to know trig for precalculus and calculus. Other students suggest studying basic algebra and trig, as well as following online calculus classes to prepare for the upcoming classes at UC Davis.
chez_butt23
Hi everyone,

I am beginning my freshman year at UC Davis in the fall. I am a double major in Evolutionary Biology and Chinese. I really struggled with math in high school (C- in both precalc/trig and AP stats). However, I am required to take 3 quarters of Calculus (More specifically, Math 17A, 17B, and 17C. http://registrar.ucdavis.edu/ucdwebcatalog/programs/MAT/MATcourses.html )

I am planning to take precalculus in the fall quarter, and then begin calculus in the winter. What can I do to prepare myself over the summer? As of right now, I am taking Math D (Intermediate Algebra) at my local Community College. Do I need to know Trig for precalculus and calculus? (Sorry if that is a dumb question, I just really do not know that much about math.)

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I took precalc in high school and it was basically a harder algebra, where they also introduced the basic ideas of calculus. As far as my experience in calculus 1, you were expected to know basic trig (sine, cosine...) and maybe a couple other things, but not much. If a trig identity was needed to solve a problem it was often given or could be looked up. So to answer your question, to prepare just keep working on algebra its a good foundation. Maybe study up on some basic trig though...

The only trig identity I've ever been expected to know in the calculus classes I've taken is x2+y2=1 (and those that can be derived from it). All others have been given to me.

I would suggest you follow online calculus classes to get a rough idea of what the main concepts are about. You don't necessarily need to master them, but being get pre-acquainted will help out later. It will also give you a good idea of what is going to be expected of you. MIT's OCW Calculus is free and covers both calc I and II.

Related to What can I do to prepare for Calculus over the summer?

1. What are the essential math skills needed for success in university?

Some essential math skills for success in university include algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. Additionally, strong critical thinking and problem-solving abilities are crucial for understanding complex mathematical concepts.

2. How is math at the university level different from high school math?

University math courses tend to cover more advanced and abstract concepts compared to high school math. The pace of university math courses is also typically faster, and students are expected to have a deeper understanding of the material.

3. Are there any resources available for students struggling with math at the university level?

Yes, universities often have tutoring centers and math labs where students can receive extra help and support with their math coursework. Many professors also offer office hours for individualized assistance.

4. How can I prepare for math courses at the university level?

To prepare for math courses at the university level, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts and to review any areas that may be weak. Practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can also help prepare for the rigors of university math courses.

5. Is it possible to switch to a different math course if the current one is too challenging?

Yes, it is often possible to switch to a different math course if the current one is too challenging. However, it is important to speak with an academic advisor before making any changes to ensure that the switch will not affect your progress towards graduation.