What can I use to teach myself physics?

• Thread starter guitarphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is looking for a primary textbook to supplement their self-teaching of calculus and physics. It is suggested that they use a calculus-based university introductory physics textbook if they have a basic understanding of calculus. Older, used editions can also be purchased to save money.
guitarphysics
I'm 15 years old and want to go faster than my high school class. I'm teaching myself calculus from a couple of different books as well as videos from khanacademy. I'm also going to use the Feynman lectures on physics, but apparently those are better as secondary sources. What do you recommend I use as a primary textbook?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know basic calculus (simple derivatives and integrals), you can probably handle a calculus-based university intro physics textbook. Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470469110/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0716789647/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There are others. They all cover pretty much the same material. You can save money by buying a used copy of an older edition. Changes between editions are usually pretty small, just enough to force students taking a course to buy the latest edition so everyone is "on the same page."

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: What can I use to teach myself physics?

1. What are some good resources for teaching myself physics?

Some good resources for teaching yourself physics include textbooks, online lectures and courses, educational videos, and practice problems. You can also attend workshops or join study groups to enhance your learning experience.

2. Do I need a strong math background to teach myself physics?

While a strong math background can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to teach yourself physics. Basic knowledge of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus is sufficient for introductory physics. However, as you progress to more advanced topics, a strong math foundation becomes increasingly important.

3. How can I make learning physics more interesting and engaging?

To make learning physics more interesting and engaging, you can try incorporating real-world examples and applications into your studies. You can also conduct hands-on experiments or simulations to help visualize and understand concepts. Additionally, seeking out study partners or joining online forums can make the learning process more interactive.

4. Are there any specific study techniques that can help me learn physics effectively?

Different study techniques work for different people, so it is important to find what works best for you. However, some effective techniques for learning physics include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, easier to understand parts, practicing regularly, and using mnemonic devices to remember formulas and equations.

5. Can I teach myself physics without a formal education in the subject?

Yes, it is possible to teach yourself physics without a formal education in the subject. With dedication, hard work, and the right resources, you can gain a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of physics. However, if you want to pursue a career in physics or advanced studies, a formal education may be necessary.