What Career Opportunities are Available with an Astronomy Degree?

• Thread starter KayVee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomer
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of studying astronomy and its potential career opportunities. It is mentioned that becoming a Maritime chief engineer involves studying electrical circuits, mathematics, and physics at college level, and some chemistry. The person is also considering applying for an Astronomy course in Copenhagen and questions if a PhD in astronomy is necessary for job prospects. They also discuss the lack of astronomy topics and job opportunities in the US, as well as the possibility of using astronomy skills for a job on Wall Street. It is mentioned that a PhD may not be necessary for non-academic positions, and that in a smaller country, a degree in astronomy may only lead to a job as a school teacher. The conversation ends with a question about the level of chemistry
KayVee
Since I was a little kid I've always found the outer space to be fascinating. I'm currently studying to become a Maritime chief engineer. It includes a lot of calculating electrical circuits, mathematics and physics (We call them level C, B and A - A being highest) at college level, and some chemistry. It takes three years.

I only need to supply with some chemistry when I'm done, and then I can apply to a Astronomy course in Copenhagen.

Can anyone give me some feedback on my idea? Is there a lack of astronomers, income and what else i can use this degree for..ect..

And, Do I need to get a PhD in astronomy to be able to look for a job?

I also notice that there are not many astronomy topics here. Is astronomy just boring, compared to physics? :-p Or is it just plain useless?

Physics news on Phys.org
KayVee said:
Can anyone give me some feedback on my idea? Is there a lack of astronomers, income and what else i can use this degree for..ect..

At least in the US, there isn't a lack of professional astronomers. However you can use the skills that you learned in astronomy to get a reasonably well paying job on Wall Street, which is where I ended up.

Also there are some parts of astronomy where you can do good work without being a professional. If you spend about US$10,000, you can put together a decent lab that you can do thinks like variable star observations.

And, Do I need to get a PhD in astronomy to be able to look for a job?

To get a formal academic position, you need a Ph.D. and usually two three year postdocs. However, never, never get a Ph.D. for career reasons since you probably won't get a formal job even with the Ph.D.

I

twofish-quant: I live in a very small country, with a population of 48.000, give or take. I plan to live other places in the world, like the US maybe, and there make use of my astronomy degree, outside of academia. And when I return home (And I probably will), a school teacher is pretty much the only work I can get, with a degree in astronomy. So, If I don't need a PhD. in astronomy, I sure ain't going for it :-p

Is there a lot of chemistry work involved in the astronomy course? I've never had chemistry and I always hear bad things about it:confused:

Last edited:

FAQ: What Career Opportunities are Available with an Astronomy Degree?

1. What is an astronomer?

An astronomer is a scientist who studies celestial objects, such as planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. They use a variety of tools and techniques, including telescopes and computer simulations, to observe and analyze these objects.

2. What kind of education is required to become an astronomer?

To become an astronomer, you will typically need to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and astronomy. This usually involves earning a bachelor's degree in one of these fields, followed by a graduate degree (master's or PhD) in astronomy or a related field.

3. What skills are important for being an astronomer?

In addition to having a strong background in math and science, astronomers should have excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They should also be detail-oriented, have strong computer skills, and be able to work well in a team.

4. What kind of work do astronomers do?

Astronomers spend much of their time conducting research, using a variety of tools and techniques to study celestial objects and phenomena. They may also teach classes, write scientific papers, and present their findings at conferences. Some astronomers also work in observatories or for space agencies, such as NASA.

5. What are some potential career paths for astronomers?

Many astronomers work in academia, conducting research and teaching at universities or colleges. Others work for government agencies, such as NASA or the National Science Foundation, or for private companies in industries such as aerospace or defense. Some astronomers also work as science writers or consultants.