What catalysts, besides platinum, can be used for catalytic combustion?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a catalyst for a micro combuster that can allow for the combustion of gaseous hydrocarbons at atmospheric pressure and no more than 200 F. Suggestions include hopcalite and metals from the platinum group, such as palladium and ruthenium, though they are all expensive. The conversation also includes some humorous comments about the platinum group and a mix-up between ruthenium and rubidium.
biovent
I'm trying to build a micro combuster, but i can't afford platinum. Anybody know of a catalyst that can allow for the combustion of gaseous hydrocarbons(methane, propane, etc.), in air, at atmospheric pressure, and at no more than 200 F?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Impossible to answer the way you have asked the question. Temperature is related to the turnover rate of the catalyst under a given set of conditions. Surface area, intrinsic reactivity, fuel and air flow, equipment design all influence that rate of reaction.

Google hopcalite. Not that it is the answer to your problem, but perhaps it can give you some starting point.

I think just about any of the metals from the platinum group will work, i.e. palladium, rubidium, etc. Of course they are all very expensive as well.

thanks borek. sorry if the question is a bit off, i don't really know much about catalysis. the microcombuster is just a subsystem of a bigger project I'm working on.

Topher925 said:
metals from the platinum group will work, i.e. palladium, rubidium, etc. Of course they are all very expensive as well.

Sounds like a completely new periodic table :-p

Borek said:
Sounds like a completely new periodic table :-p

This made me laugh out loud.

But he is right in that the platinum group (although not of a particular number of electrons in a sub shell as the typical vertical groups are defined) is referred to as the platinum group because of their low activities and ability to act as catalysts for oxidation reactions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_group

...But I think you already know this. And I am just stating the obvious. :blushing:

Whoops. Yeah, that should be ruthenium, not rubidium. I get those two mixed up a lot. :confused:

FAQ: What catalysts, besides platinum, can be used for catalytic combustion?

1. What is catalytic combustion?

Catalytic combustion is a chemical process in which a catalyst is used to speed up the rate of a reaction that involves the burning of a fuel and oxidizing agent. This results in a more efficient and cleaner combustion process.

2. Why is platinum commonly used as a catalyst for catalytic combustion?

Platinum is a commonly used catalyst for catalytic combustion due to its high efficiency and stability at high temperatures. It is also relatively abundant and has a high resistance to corrosion, making it a dependable choice for this application.

3. What other catalysts can be used for catalytic combustion?

In addition to platinum, other catalysts that can be used for catalytic combustion include palladium, rhodium, and ruthenium. These metals have similar properties to platinum and are also effective in promoting the combustion process.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using alternative catalysts for catalytic combustion?

While other catalysts may be effective in promoting catalytic combustion, they may also have their own limitations. For example, some alternative catalysts may not be as stable at high temperatures as platinum, or they may be more expensive to produce.

5. How can the choice of catalyst impact the efficiency of catalytic combustion?

The choice of catalyst can greatly impact the efficiency of catalytic combustion. A more efficient catalyst, such as platinum, can result in a higher conversion rate of fuel to energy, leading to a more efficient and cleaner combustion process. On the other hand, a less efficient catalyst may require higher temperatures or longer reaction times, resulting in a less efficient process.