What Caused the Fatal Crash on I-75: Texting, Driving, or Darwin?

• Thread starter TumblingDice
  • Start date
In summary: The argument that we could let Evolution eliminate drivers who text (or motorcyclists who don't wear helmets etc.) isn't valid.The argument that we could let Evolution eliminate drivers who text (or motorcyclists who don't wear helmets etc.) isn't valid.
TumblingDice
Gold Member
From the Detroit Free Press today:
A 22-year-old man killed in an I-75 crash southwest of Detroit this morning was found with a cell phone in his hand, police said.
“There were no skid marks observed at the scene, and alcohol was not a factor,” according to the news release.
It’s unknown why the car drove into the semi, but the cell phone was found in Contreras’ hand after the vehicles were separated, state police report. ... ... The crash is under investigation.
Adults should know better. Teenagers need experience. We need to keep reminding everyone.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Seen on a bumper sticker:

Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

Likes Lisa!, Borg, Greg Bernhardt and 5 others
I'm guilty of this on an empty road, but it's still a very very stupid thing to do. Many young people have been killed or seriously injured due to being distracted by cell phones.

I don't know how people wouldn't be aware of the dangers though - it's essentially equally as dangerous as driving with your eyes closed.

I wouldn't think of texting while driving - how can anyone justify the risk?

Likes symbolipoint and Medicol
lisab said:

There IS no risk for teenagers. They are immortal. Until they aren't.

Likes Enigman and Drakkith
52732-Santas-Texting-While-Driving.jpg

PSA

I have been wanting to get a dash cam for my car to record the many people that I witness weaving all over the road while texting or even just talking on their phones. Unfortunately, I don't think that it would take long to get some great videos.

phinds said:
There IS no risk for teenagers. They are immortal. Until they aren't.

This is a pointless statement that old boomers like to make. The reality is that adults are just as dumb and careless as teenagers. More so in many cases.

Likes Enigman
Rick21383 said:
This is a pointless statement that old boomers like to make. The reality is that adults are just as dumb and careless as teenagers. More so in many cases.

Gee, I wonder why insurance companies charge teens so much more than adults?

Last edited:
Likes Enigman
Rick21383 said:
"Adults more likely to text and drive than teens, study says"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...759024-97ad-11e2-814b-063623d80a60_story.html
I wonder if that poll asked the right question? Was it strictly about text messaging or did it include social media?

Also, carelessness and experience are not completely separate things, but regardless, carelessness really is higher for kids than adults. It's basically a self-evident reality.

You know what the problem is? When I drive I get all kinds of calls and SMSs. If I don't reply when the people see me they are all offensive and say: "What the hell is wrong with you, why don't you answer the phone?!"

You tell them that you were driving, but it matters not to them. You have to answer and get yourself killed (along with the old lady, the dog, and the innocent kids) so that they like you (which I don't do).

Last edited:
Psinter said:
You know what the problem is? When I drive I get all kinds of calls and SMSs. If I don't reply when the people see me they are all offensive and say: "What the hell is wrong with you, why don't you answer the phone?!"

You tell them that you were driving, but it matters not to them. You have to answer and get yourself killed (along with the old lady, the dog, and the innocent kids) so that they like you (which I don't do).
[shrug] They'll live. You might not.

Likes Enigman, Mark44 and Psinter
I don't know about any of the rest of you, but where I live it's illegal to talk, let alone text, on the phone while in motion. The specific charge is "distracted driving", which carries the same implications and penalties as "impaired driving". It applies also to eating, putting on makeup, or anything else that potentially takes the driver's attention away from controlling the vehicle.
Incidentally, a new study has just shown that a hands-free cell is actually more distracting to a driver than one which you have to hold.

The "Darwin" aspect hasn't been addressed yet. The argument that we could let Evolution eliminate drivers who text (or motorcyclists who don't wear helmets etc.) isn't valid. There might not be a gene or combination of genes that determines the specific behavior of texting while driving. For example, texting while driving might be due to genes that control "risk taking behavior" and that behavior also has some positive contribution to surviving.

Stephen Tashi said:
...texting while driving might be due to genes that control "risk taking behavior" and that behavior also has some positive contribution to surviving.
True, and like impaired driving, this behaviour has a nasty habit of eliminating members of the same species while leaving the perpetrator alive.

Stephen Tashi said:
The "Darwin" aspect hasn't been addressed yet. The argument that we could let Evolution eliminate drivers who text (or motorcyclists who don't wear helmets etc.) isn't valid. There might not be a gene or combination of genes that determines the specific behavior of texting while driving. For example, texting while driving might be due to genes that control "risk taking behavior" and that behavior also has some positive contribution to surviving.
Well, not to mention the fact that those driving while texting could also be eliminating those who aren't. If they were only hurting themselves, then life would be great. But life isn't great.

Likes davenn
yeah that is the problem ... They can also take out innocents

lisab said:
Finally, the sensible statement.

symbolipoint said:
Finally, the sensible statement.
Finally? That was the 4th post into a thread in which yours is the 21st. Lisa is brilliant and beautiful and we her love her, but we've all been saying pretty much the same thing ever since the thread opened.

FAQ: What Caused the Fatal Crash on I-75: Texting, Driving, or Darwin?

1. What is the concept behind "Texting, Driving, and Darwin"?

The concept behind "Texting, Driving, and Darwin" is that using a cell phone while driving is a dangerous and potentially deadly behavior that goes against the principle of natural selection. By engaging in distracted driving, individuals are putting themselves and others at risk of harm or death, which goes against the idea of survival of the fittest.

2. How does texting while driving affect a person's ability to drive safely?

Texting while driving significantly impairs a person's ability to drive safely. It takes their attention away from the road and decreases their reaction time, making it difficult for them to respond to unexpected situations. This behavior also increases the risk of accidents and can result in serious injuries or fatalities.

3. What are the consequences of texting while driving?

The consequences of texting while driving can range from receiving a traffic ticket to causing a serious accident. In some cases, individuals may face criminal charges if their distracted driving results in harm to others. Additionally, texting while driving can lead to increased insurance rates, loss of driving privileges, and even lawsuits.

4. How can we prevent people from texting while driving?

There are several ways to prevent people from texting while driving. Some effective methods include implementing laws and penalties for distracted driving, educating the public about the dangers of texting while driving, and using technology such as apps that block notifications while driving. It is also important for individuals to make a conscious effort to not engage in distracted driving and to speak up if they see someone else doing so.

5. What other activities besides texting can be considered distracted driving?

Besides texting, other activities that can be considered distracted driving include talking on the phone, eating or drinking, adjusting the radio or GPS, and even daydreaming. Any behavior that takes a driver's attention away from the road and their surroundings can be dangerous and should be avoided while driving.