What causes a car to skid outwards on a circular turn?

• Thread starter clavin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses various scenarios involving forces and friction in different systems. The first question concerns a pulley and rope system with two blocks hanging from either end, with the force on the pulley equal to 2mg. The conversation also delves into the role of friction in circular turns and how it affects the motion of the car. Other topics include the relationship between friction and tangential acceleration, and the concept of sufficient force to maintain circular motion.
clavin
well my first qs is
lets say i have a pulley and rope system
and two blocks each of mass m hanging from either end of the rope which goes over a pulley
the pulley has a mass of 1 kg, frictionless and rope is massless and frictionless
now if i were to analyze the force on the pulley it would be equal to 2mg
now what i want to know is how is the system applying this 2mg force on the pulley
cuz for all the points on the rope that touch the pulley have tension tangential to the pulley
physically i can see that it would be 2mg but how do u explain it through physics

second let's say i have two black placed one over the other
and the ground and the surface of the blacks all have friction
now let's say i apply some force on the block(the force isn't high to exceed the limiting friction from either the ground or the block above) touching the ground
so how to judge why and which of the two, ground and the upper block,
will apply the friction force first or is it that both will apply the friction simultaneously

when a car goes on a horizontal circular turn with velocity v , the friction provides the centripetal force. now will a friction also act in the direction opposite to v? if not why?

and lastly
why on a circular turn do the tyre ski outwards
well i mean how come there is relative motion radially which gives rise the friction force in radial direction
and let's say the friction is not high enough to prevent the skidding
then what would be the force or velocity with which the car will skid outwards(i.e. if it is possible to calculate)

i wud be thankful if u can answer even one of the qs
cya

Physics news on Phys.org
clavin said:
well my first qs is
lets say i have a pulley and rope system
and two blocks each of mass m hanging from either end of the rope which goes over a pulley
the pulley has a mass of 1 kg, frictionless and rope is massless and frictionless
now if i were to analyze the force on the pulley it would be equal to 2mg
now what i want to know is how is the system applying this 2mg force on the pulley
cuz for all the points on the rope that touch the pulley have tension tangential to the pulley
physically i can see that it would be 2mg but how do u explain it through physics

I don't understand what you want to know. Unless the rope is stretching, the tension is equal to the weight mg. That is how the forces acting are mg and mg on opposite sides of the pulley.

clavin said:
when a car goes on a horizontal circular turn with velocity v , the friction provides the centripetal force. now will a friction also act in the direction opposite to v? if not why?

Well if the tires are not slipping, there will be a tangential acceleration which is affected by friction.

clavin said:
and lastly
why on a circular turn do the tyre ski outwards
well i mean how come there is relative motion radially which gives rise the friction force in radial direction
and let's say the friction is not high enough to prevent the skidding
then what would be the force or velocity with which the car will skid outwards(i.e. if it is possible to calculate)

The motion of the car will be to move outwards, the friction forces will act opposite in this direction. Since the car does not move outwards, it can only mean that the frictional force is providing enough force to keep the car in the circular motion.

The formula would be the same mv2/r. It is just that there might not be enough 'r' ( or well road) for the car to maintain the circular turn.

FAQ: What causes a car to skid outwards on a circular turn?

What is mechanics?

Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of objects under the influence of forces.

What are the different types of mechanics?

There are three main types of mechanics: classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. Classical mechanics deals with macroscopic objects, quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, and statistical mechanics studies the behavior of large systems of particles.

What is the difference between statics and dynamics?

Statics is the study of objects that are not moving or are in a state of equilibrium, while dynamics is the study of objects that are in motion or are experiencing acceleration. Both are branches of mechanics.

What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction of motion. In other words, velocity takes into account the object's speed and the direction it is moving in.

Back