What Causes Buoyancy in Water? Answers and Explanations

• Thread starter chevap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buoyancy
In summary, the buoyant force of water will be greater than the weight of an object if the object is less dense than water. If you put a steel needle onto the water, other factors come into play that determine whether or not the object will rise to the surface.
chevap
Hello.

I have a question or two about buoyancy, in water specifically. What causes buoyancy, if there is something more than the difference of pressures above and beneath an object?
What would happen if I put a very thin object in water, so that the difference in pressures would be extremely small?
And what would happen if I put an object (cone, for example) at the very bottom of a water filled glass, would it come back up (supposing it wouldn't sink if I just put it in the glass), and why? Which forces would affect the object?

English is not my native language, so I can't express myself the way I want to, but oh well.

Physics news on Phys.org
chevap said:
I have a question or two about buoyancy, in water specifically. What causes buoyancy, if there is something more than the difference of pressures above and beneath an object?
That's all there is to it: Buoyancy is the net force on an object due to the pressure of the fluid surrounding it. There's a net upward force because pressure varies with depth.
What would happen if I put a very thin object in water, so that the difference in pressures would be extremely small?
It doesn't matter. The buoyant force would still equal the weight of the displaced fluid. (That's Archimedes' principle.) Of course, a thin object will displace less fluid than a fat object (of the same length).
And what would happen if I put an object (cone, for example) at the very bottom of a water filled glass, would it come back up (supposing it wouldn't sink if I just put it in the glass), and why? Which forces would affect the object?
If the density of the object is less than that of water, then the buoyant force will be greater than the weight of the object: thus the object will come back up. The forces acting on the object are: its weight (acting down) and the buoyant force of the water on it (acting up).

And welcome to PF!

Hmm, I can understand all that, but there's one problem that keeps bothering me.

If we have a perfectly shaped cone at the bottom of a glass, with no water beneath it, which pressure will lift it up (assuming its density is less than the density of water)?

If you have a perfect seal between the cone and the bottom of the glass, then the water pressure will exert a net downward pressure on the cone. There will be no "buoyant" force and the cone will not rise up.

Okay, thanks a lot!

Doc Al said:
It doesn't matter. The buoyant force would still equal the weight of the displaced fluid. (That's Archimedes' principle.) Of course, a thin object will displace less fluid than a fat object (of the same length).

And what happens if you put a steel needle onto the water?

Clausius2 said:
And what happens if you put a steel needle onto the water?
If you put the needle (gently) onto the water (instead of into the water) then other factors come into play, such as surface tension. :wink:

Doc Al said:
If you put the needle (gently) onto the water (instead of into the water) then other factors come into play, such as surface tension. :wink:

Right :!)

And Arquimedes Principle is not satisfied. That astonished me some time ago.

:biggrin: :rolleyes:

Related to What Causes Buoyancy in Water? Answers and Explanations

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object that is submerged or partially submerged in it. In the case of water, this force is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

2. What causes buoyancy in water?

Buoyancy in water is caused by the weight of the water displaced by an object. This is known as Archimedes' principle and is a result of the fact that water is more dense than air.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy in water?

The shape of an object plays a significant role in its buoyancy in water. Objects with a greater volume relative to their weight, such as a boat with a hollow hull, will have more buoyancy than objects with less volume, such as a solid block of metal.

4. What is the relationship between buoyancy and gravity?

Buoyancy and gravity are opposing forces that act on an object in water. While gravity pulls the object down, buoyancy pushes it up. When an object is fully submerged in water, these two forces are equal and the object will float.

5. How does the density of an object affect its buoyancy in water?

The density of an object affects its buoyancy in water because it determines how much water the object will displace. Objects with a higher density than water will sink, while objects with a lower density will float. This is why some objects, like wood, can float on water while others, like rocks, will sink.