What causes changes in electric field within a circuit?

In summary, Voltage drop is the decrease in potential energy as electric current moves through the passive elements of an electric circuit. The greater the voltage drop, the greater the loss of power.
chad mcpeek
So I'm having trouble visualizing how voltage drops more within different parts of a circuit, such as a resistor vs. wire. I know all the general equations but the concept is hard for me to comprehend and I am stuck on one notion. So, say you have a simple DC circuit with just a resistor and wire connecting the two ends. Since the resistor has much more resistance than the wire, the drop in potential will be much greater across the resistor than the wire. Consequently, since the drop in potential per unit length is higher for the resistor wouldn't that mean the electric field is greater in the resistor? but how could the electric field be greater and what causes the change in E field?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand it correctly, voltage drop is not a change in the electric field, it is a loss of potential energy.

From wiki (underlining mine):
Voltage drop describes how the supplied energy of a voltage source is reduced as electric current moves through the passive elements (elements that do not supply voltage) of an electric circuit.

chad mcpeek said:
Consequently, since the drop in potential per unit length is higher for the resistor wouldn't that mean the electric field is greater in the resistor?
Yes, assuming the wire and resistor were equal in length.

chad mcpeek said:
but how could the electric field be greater and what causes the change in E field?
Assume the contrary. What would happen if the E field were uniform? Think about Ohms law, currents, and conservation of charge.

Okay I think I'm starting to understand. so if the electric field were uniform then the current going the wire would not be uniform because it takes more force to move current through a resistor than the wires? and if the electric field were uniform then the change in potential energy would also be uniform. Since it takes more force, and therefore a greater E field, to move through a resistor then it should cause more change in potential energy. However instead of converting that electric potential energy into kinetic in the form of a faster current, it gets converted to thermal energy? Am I on the right track?

itchybrain said:
AT: I see that now, and agree.

Is the decrease in energy as the rays go through more atmosphere negligible, or a pertinent factor?

chad mcpeek said:
Okay I think I'm starting to understand. so if the electric field were uniform then the current going the wire would not be uniform because it takes more force to move current through a resistor than the wires? and if the electric field were uniform then the change in potential energy would also be uniform. Since it takes more force, and therefore a greater E field, to move through a resistor then it should cause more change in potential energy. However instead of converting that electric potential energy into kinetic in the form of a faster current, it gets converted to thermal energy? Am I on the right track?

You are getting closer, but please forget about electrons and kinetic energy when thinking about electric current. The flow of energy (I.e. Power) in an electric circuit is proportional to voltage drop times current. V*I. That is what you should remember.

When the same current flows through the wire and resistor, the voltage drop across the ends of the wire is nearly zero, but the voltage drop across the resistor is not zero. Therefore, the power dissipated in the wire is zero*current and the power dissipated in the resistor is V*current.

chad mcpeek said:
the current going the wire would not be uniform because it takes more force to move current through a resistor than the wires?
Yes, this is the key point. Think about what would happen if there were a non uniform current.

If more current is leaving an area than is entering then that region would become progressively more negatively charged. That would produce an E field which would invalidate the original assumption of uniform E field. In fact, this charge accumulation would continue until the current became uniform and the E field non-uniform in exactly the fashion that you first noticed.

Related to What causes changes in electric field within a circuit?

1. What is voltage drop in a circuit?

Voltage drop in a circuit is the decrease in voltage that occurs as electricity flows through a circuit. It is caused by the resistance of the materials used in the circuit, which leads to a loss of energy.

2. How is voltage drop calculated?

Voltage drop is calculated by multiplying the current in the circuit by the resistance of the materials. This can be represented by the equation V=IR, where V is voltage drop, I is current, and R is resistance.

3. What causes voltage drop in a circuit?

Voltage drop is caused by the resistance of the materials used in a circuit. This resistance can be due to the thickness and length of the wires, the type of material used, and any additional components in the circuit.

4. How does voltage drop affect circuit performance?

Voltage drop can affect circuit performance by reducing the amount of voltage available to power the circuit. This can lead to a decrease in the overall performance of the circuit, including reduced speed and efficiency.

5. How can voltage drop be reduced?

Voltage drop can be reduced by using materials with lower resistance, such as thicker wires or materials with higher conductivity. Keeping the length of the wires short and minimizing the number of components in the circuit can also help reduce voltage drop.

Back