What causes the jagged effect in gnu plot filler and how can it be improved?

• Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot
In summary, the conversation discusses a plot generated using gnu plot that shows a best fit value and an error estimate. The speaker wants to shade the region between the best fit value and a yellow line, but the gnu plot filler used produces a jagged effect and the shaded region does not fully extend to the yellow curve. The cause of this is likely due to the linear interpolation used by the filledcurve command, while the yellow line is not a linear function. To improve the filling, the speaker suggests using different smoothing techniques such as a spline fit or the gnuplot pm3d command.
CAF123
Gold Member
I've produced a plot showing a best fit value and one with error estimate included (the dashed yellow line). I want to shade the region between the best fit value and this yellow line. As can be seen, the gnu plot filler I use is not optimal and leaves a residual jaggy effect and the shaded region does not extend all the way to the yellow curve. What might causes this and is there a way, within gnu plot, to allow for an improved filling?

I use the following gnu plot code to generate shaded region
Code:
 plot 'data.dat' u 1:($18+$19):($18-$19) w filledcurve ls 999 fs solid 0.12 bo notitle,\

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 11.21.56.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 11.21.56.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 181
Technology news on Phys.org
'data.dat' u 1:18 w l ls 999 lw 2 pi 0.5 lc rgb 'black' notitleThe jagged effect is likely caused by the fact that the filledcurve command uses linear interpolation between data points, while your yellow line is not a linear function of x. To improve the filling you can use different smoothing techniques. For example, you could use a spline fit to smooth the data before using the filledcurve command. Alternatively, you could use the gnuplot pm3d command instead of the filledcurve command.

Related to What causes the jagged effect in gnu plot filler and how can it be improved?

What is gnu plot filler?

Gnu plot filler is a software tool used for creating graphs and charts from data sets. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields for data analysis and visualization.

Why is there a problem with gnu plot filler?

There may be a problem with gnu plot filler if the software is not properly installed, if there are compatibility issues with the operating system, or if there are errors in the data being inputted.

How can I troubleshoot a problem with gnu plot filler?

To troubleshoot a problem with gnu plot filler, you can try reinstalling the software, checking for updates, and ensuring that your data is in the correct format. You can also consult online forums or contact the software developers for assistance.

Is gnu plot filler free to use?

Yes, gnu plot filler is an open-source software and can be downloaded and used for free.

Are there any alternatives to gnu plot filler?

Yes, there are many alternative software tools for creating graphs and charts, such as Microsoft Excel, Tableau, and MATLAB. Each has its own unique features and capabilities, so it is important to research and find the best fit for your specific needs.