What classes should I take for the spring semester?

In summary, this person is considering taking four math and physics courses this semester. They are confident they can handle the load, but they might consider adding a fifth course to "balance it out".
Bashyboy
Hello all,

For the spring semester, I was considering taking Calculus III, Math Statistical Analysis, Discrete Mathematics, and Physics II. Before I sign up for this classes, I thought it most prudent to seek the advice of others. So, does anyone have any opinions that they'd like to share? I certainly would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you planning on doing for your fifth course? I usually enjoyed balancing it out with something on the humanities side to give my mind a chance to switch gears.

Do I need to take a fifth course? I Am just wondering if this might be too much.

Doable, but you have two questions to answer:
1. Have you taken this many math/physics classes before?
2. Do you need to take this many classes? Does it really benefit you? Remember, undergrad is partly about learning, and partly about getting into grad school.

Think about where your grades are now, and imagine a realistic worse case scenario (2 B's? a C?) and try to envision just how likely it is, and whether you're willing to deal with it.

No, I haven't taken this many math and science courses simultaneously. My grades are good (all A's), and I suppose I don't want to chance getting a bad grade. I am twenty-years old, and I see all of these younger people starting in Calculus III, so I feel like I should do this to get ahead.

Well, the more courses you balance on your plate the less stable you are; ergo, if the unexpected comes hurtling from out of the big blue yonder you might stumble and fall.

That being said it's actually not that bad a course load and you sound like the sort of student who can handle it, if my opinion means anything.

One more question, am I crazy for having the idea that I need to catch up, and should I just keep a regular course load? I would like to take the four course, but I don't know if I could handle getting a bad grade.

Four courses is really not that much. I usually took 5 math courses each semester and I could handle it fine.
I suggest you try the four courses (and maybe a Gen Ed course as well). That way you know that you can handle such load.

All right, I think I attempt this. Thank you both for the advice.

Good luck! You'll probably be just fine.

This sounds like a do-able load. Last semester I took complex variables, physics 1, linear algebra 2, computer science, and a senior level spanish class. I ended up with A's and a B in complex variables. I was working one day a week as well. So your schedule sounds like you could pull it off, as long as you don't have too many extracurricular activities. You might even think about throwing in a "gimme" gen. ed. class as well.

I had a similar load last semester with calc 3, physics 2, statics/ strength of materials, cell biology, and a physics seminar. I also worked 10-12 hours a week in the lab and ended up with all A's. I was prepared to risk my GPA though, in order to explore some classes without getting behind. It may be a risk but if you work well under pressure then I say go for it!

FAQ: What classes should I take for the spring semester?

1. What is the start date of the spring semester?

The start date of the spring semester varies depending on the institution. Generally, it begins in late January or early February.

2. How long is the spring semester?

The length of the spring semester also varies by institution, but it typically lasts for 16 weeks.

3. What classes are typically offered during the spring semester?

The specific classes offered during the spring semester will depend on the institution and the program of study. However, most schools offer a wide range of courses in various subjects, including core requirements and electives.

4. Is there a break during the spring semester?

Yes, most institutions have a designated spring break, usually spanning one week in March. Some schools may also have additional breaks throughout the semester, such as a long weekend for Easter.

5. How do I register for classes for the spring semester?

The registration process for the spring semester will vary by institution. Generally, students will receive information from their school about when and how to register for classes. This may involve meeting with an academic advisor or using an online registration system.