What colleges are fit my criteria?

• Schools
  • Thread starter glennpagano44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Criteria Fit
In summary, the SAT score is a bit of a weakness compared to the good GPA. If you have the opportunity, work through a test-prep book and try taking it again. There's a good chance you'll get a much better score the next time around, just because you'll be used to the test situation. Also, apparently many high schools are now giving out scores higher than 4.0 for some classes (?), so I'm not exactly sure how far a 3.75 goes these days. Villanova and Bloomsburg might be a good option if you are interested in doing physics, but Penn State might be a better choice if you want a good undergraduate physics program.
glennpagano44
I am looking at colleges right now and I was wondering what other colleges you would suggest. I am looking for a college with a strong undergrad physics program. I got a 1100/1600 (1480/2400) on my SAT's, 3.74/4.0 GPA. I am looking for colleges close to the philadelphia area, but not in the city. So far I have picked out Penn State, Widener, Villanova and Bloomsburg. What colleges do you suggest that fit my needs and are in my academic achivement range?

Physics news on Phys.org
So first, the SAT score is a bit of a weakness compared to the good GPA. If you have the opportunity, work through a test-prep book and try taking it again. There's a good chance you'll get a much better score the next time around, just because you'll be used to the test situation. Also, apparently many high schools are now giving out scores higher than 4.0 for some classes (?), so I'm not exactly sure how far a 3.75 goes these days. Perhaps someone more in-tune with current happenings will know.

As for colleges, we will have an easier time giving advice if you can provide more information. Here are a few key questions that would help narrow the field:
Do you prefer a big or small college?
How intent are you on doing physics?
Is cost an issue?

maze said:
So first, the SAT score is a bit of a weakness compared to the good GPA. If you have the opportunity, work through a test-prep book and try taking it again. There's a good chance you'll get a much better score the next time around, just because you'll be used to the test situation. Also, apparently many high schools are now giving out scores higher than 4.0 for some classes (?), so I'm not exactly sure how far a 3.75 goes these days. Perhaps someone more in-tune with current happenings will know.

As for colleges, we will have an easier time giving advice if you can provide more information. Here are a few key questions that would help narrow the field:
Do you prefer a big or small college?
How intent are you on doing physics?
Is cost an issue?

Do you prefer a big or small college? It doesn't really matter to me, I can adapt easily.
How intent are you on doing physics? I am sure that I want to do physics.
Is cost an issue? No cost is not an issue.

This is second time I took the SATs and I took a class to better my first score which I did. I just don't know why I am doing so bad. That 3.75 is out of 4.0 like before but my weighted GPA is 4.4.

Thanks

Now that I think of it I am not 100% intent on physics because I want to leave my options open in becoming a funeral director

I'm not that familiar with the philadelphia area, but here are a few you didn't mention that might be worth looking into:
Drexel
Haverford
Rutgers

FAQ: What colleges are fit my criteria?

1. What factors should I consider when looking for colleges that fit my criteria?

When looking for colleges that fit your criteria, it's important to consider factors such as location, size, academic programs, campus culture, and cost. Each person's criteria may be different, so make a list of what is important to you before starting your search.

2. How do I determine if a college has the academic programs I am interested in?

Most colleges have a list of their academic programs on their website. You can also search for the college on websites like CollegeBoard or Niche, which provide detailed information about the academic programs offered at each college.

3. Is the location of the college an important factor to consider?

The location of the college can be an important factor to consider, as it can impact your overall college experience. Think about whether you prefer a rural, suburban, or urban setting, and also consider the distance from home and any potential cultural or recreational opportunities in the area.

4. How do I know if a college's campus culture is a good fit for me?

One way to determine if a college's campus culture is a good fit for you is to visit the campus and take a tour. This will give you a chance to see the campus in person and get a feel for the overall atmosphere. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to learn more about the campus culture.

5. What resources are available to help me determine the cost of attending a college?

Most colleges have a section on their website dedicated to providing information about tuition and fees, as well as financial aid and scholarship opportunities. You can also use online tools such as the Net Price Calculator to estimate the cost of attending a specific college based on your financial information.