What Components Do I Need to Build a 200 lb Capacity DC Motor Cart?

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for advice on how to build a cart that can carry 200 lbs at a walking pace with a throttle. The solution suggested is to use a wheelchair motor, battery, and throttle, and to check surplus places for affordable options. The person recommending this solution also shares their experience of getting wheelchair motors at a discounted price.
RonB
Newbee here, hope this is the place for this kind of question.

I want to fab a cart that will carry about 200 lbs. It will be something I will stand behind, holding like a handlebar at waist height with a throttle. Gearing (chain and sprocket is what I'm thinking) would need to give a top speed of a walking pace (2-3 mph) as a constant speed. Also need several hours of use before recharging.

I believe something like a scooter motor, battery, throttle, etc. is what I need but not sure what watt dc motor, sprockets, would be required to handle that weight, speed.

Thanks
RonB

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Ron.
The easiest solution would be to visit a wheelchair supply company. I have 3 wheelchair motors that are 1/2 hp, 12VDC, with 2 sets of field coils that can be wired in either parallel or series for more torque or more speed. The outputs are worm drive to chain sprocket. Check into surplus places, though; these things cost about $300 each retail. I got them for $10 each from a guy who didn't want them any more.

Hello RonB,

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you are interested in building a homemade DC motor cart to carry a load of 200 lbs at a walking pace of 2-3 mph. This is definitely the right place to ask for guidance on this project.

First, let's talk about the motor. You are correct in thinking that a scooter motor would be a good option for this type of cart. However, the power (wattage) of the motor will depend on a few factors, such as the terrain you will be using the cart on and the weight of the cart itself. Typically, a 250-500 watt motor should be sufficient for a cart carrying 200 lbs on flat terrain.

Next, let's discuss the gearing. As you mentioned, using a chain and sprocket system is a good option for this type of cart. The size of the sprockets will depend on the desired speed and torque of the cart. I would recommend consulting with a local hardware store or mechanic for specific recommendations based on your cart's weight and desired speed.

In terms of the battery, you will want to choose a battery with enough capacity to provide several hours of use before needing to be recharged. This will depend on the motor's power and the amount of weight the cart will be carrying. A 12V deep cycle battery should work well for this application.

Lastly, I would recommend looking into a variable speed throttle to control the motor's speed. This will allow you to adjust the speed as needed and conserve battery life.

I hope this information helps guide you in building your homemade DC motor cart. Good luck with your project!

FAQ: What Components Do I Need to Build a 200 lb Capacity DC Motor Cart?

1. How can I make a homemade DC motor cart?

To make a homemade DC motor cart, you will need a small DC motor, a battery, wheels, and a chassis. First, attach the motor to the chassis using screws or adhesive. Then, connect the positive and negative terminals of the motor to the positive and negative ends of the battery. Finally, attach the wheels to the chassis, making sure they are securely in place. Your homemade DC motor cart is now ready to use!

2. What materials do I need to make a DIY DC motor cart?

To make a DIY DC motor cart, you will need a small DC motor, a battery, wheels, a chassis, screws or adhesive, and wire for connecting the motor to the battery. You may also need tools such as a screwdriver, pliers, and wire cutters.

3. How does a DC motor cart work?

A DC motor cart works by converting electrical energy from the battery into mechanical energy. When the battery is connected to the motor, it creates an electromagnetic field that interacts with the magnets inside the motor, causing it to rotate and power the wheels of the cart.

4. What can I use a homemade DC motor cart for?

A homemade DC motor cart can be used for various purposes such as a science project, a toy for children, or a small-scale transportation device. You can also use it to learn about motors and electricity.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making a homemade DC motor cart?

Yes, it is important to take some safety precautions when making a homemade DC motor cart. Make sure to use appropriate tools and handle the battery with care. Also, avoid touching the motor while it is in operation as it may get hot. Finally, always supervise children when using the motor cart and do not use it near water or flammable materials.

Back