What consequenses would there be if the photon got mass?

In summary, the current theory states that the photon has zero mass, but there is a possibility that it may have a very small mass. However, all experiments to date have only shown an upper bound on the photon's mass and not a lower bound, indicating that its mass is most likely still zero. If it does have a non-zero mass, it would have significant implications such as breaking the gauge symmetry of E&M, changing the Coulomb force, violating laws of optics, and causing issues with causality.
Hymne
Hi, as I understand the photon can according to todays theory have a very small mass. What would this actually mean if it shows up to be true?
I now the we had to give the neutrinos mass to solve the solar neutrino puzzel, but since I don't got so much mathematical knowledge, I can't deduce it on my own.

Are there some interesting things that would happen or be possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
The photon has zero mass in every extant theory (QM, general relativity, string theories). Any attempt to prove this by measurement will have some experimental error. The best any experiment can do is establish some non-zero upper bound on the photon's mass. This upper bound is incredibly small and getting smaller as experiments improve.

Don't mistake a reported non-zero upper bound on the photon's mass as meaning the photon does have non-zero mass. No experiment to assess the photon's mass has shown a non-zero lower bound on the photon's mass. All measurements to date are consistent with the theoretical mass of zero.

**IF** the photon had mass (m), it would imply some rather remarkable things. Here are a few of them:

(1) It would break the gauge symmetry of E&M. This means that charge would no longer be conserved - you would be able to create or destroy charge.

(2) It would imply that the Coulomb force would no longer be infinite range, but would have a "Yukawa" potential:

[tex]V\sim\frac{e^{-mr}}{r}[/tex]

(3) It would change the dispersion relation [itex]k=\omega/c[/itex], leading to violations of the laws of optics (law of reflection/refraction, etc); similarly, it would imply that light waves can be longitudinally polarized, rather than only transversely polarized.

(4) It would wreak havoc with our notions of causality, since signals would be able to travel "faster than light".

There are just a few consequences.

Last edited:

FAQ: What consequenses would there be if the photon got mass?

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that makes up electromagnetic radiation, such as light and other forms of electromagnetic waves.

2. Does a photon currently have mass?

According to the Standard Model of particle physics, photons are considered to be massless particles.

3. What would happen if a photon gained mass?

If a photon gained mass, it would have a significant impact on our understanding of physics. It would require a revision of the Standard Model and our understanding of how particles interact with each other.

4. Would the speed of light change if a photon had mass?

Yes, if a photon had mass, it would no longer travel at the speed of light. The speed of light is currently defined as the maximum speed at which all massless particles can travel.

5. Are there any experiments or evidence that suggest photons may have mass?

There have been several experiments and theories proposed that suggest photons may have mass. However, there is currently no conclusive evidence to support this idea, and the majority of the scientific community still accepts the Standard Model's description of photons as massless particles.

Back