What Determines the Degree and Coefficients of Polynomials?

In summary: Thank you for explaining it to me.In summary, the degree of a constant is always 0 and can be written as cx^0, with the nonzero coefficient being the constant itself. The degree of 0 is technically undefined, but it can be considered a polynomial with no nonzero terms. Both 4 and 0 are polynomials, specifically monomials, as they do not break the rule of not being able to divide by a variable.
mathdad
Specify the degree and the (nonzero) coefficients of each polynomial.

(A) 4

(B) 0

Solution:

The number 4 can be expressed as 4x^0. Is this correct?
If this is right, then the nonzero coefficient must be 4 itself. Is this right? The degree is 0.

The whole number 0 can be expressed as 0x^0. The degree is 0. What is the nonzero coefficient of 0?

Why is 4 a polynomial?

Why is 0 a polynomial?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(A) The degree of a constant is always 0. Any constant c can be written as cx^0.
(B) The degree of 0 is technically undefined. This is a polynomial but has no nonzero terms (obviously) and therefore has no degree.

These are certainly polynomials! More specifically, monomials, meaning they only have one term. A polynomial is a collection of constants and variables with exponents, but you cannot divide by a variable. Both 4 and 0 are then polynomials, because they do not break this rule.

joypav said:
(A) The degree of a constant is always 0. Any constant c can be written as cx^0.
(B) The degree of 0 is technically undefined. This is a polynomial but has no nonzero terms (obviously) and therefore has no degree.

These are certainly polynomials! More specifically, monomials, meaning they only have one term. A polynomial is a collection of constants and variables with exponents, but you cannot divide by a variable. Both 4 and 0 are then polynomials, because they do not break this rule.

You said that we cannot divide a variable. Say, for example, x. Is x/2 not considered x divided by 2?

RTCNTC said:
You said that we cannot divide a variable. Say, for example, x. Is x/2 not considered x divided by 2?

Not quite, if I understand what you're asking.

x/2 would be a polynomial. In this case, x is in the numerator. You CAN divide a variable by a constant. That is not an issue.

What I meant was, you CANNOT divide by a variable. Meaning, 2/x would not be a monomial. In this case, you have a variable in the denominator.

joypav said:
Not quite, if I understand what you're asking.

x/2 would be a polynomial. In this case, x is in the numerator. You CAN divide a variable by a constant. That is not an issue.

What I meant was, you CANNOT divide by a variable. Meaning, 2/x would not be a monomial. In this case, you have a variable in the denominator.

I get it now.

Related to What Determines the Degree and Coefficients of Polynomials?

What is a degree in terms of coefficients?

A degree in terms of coefficients refers to the highest power of a variable in a polynomial equation. It is determined by examining the exponents of each term in the equation and identifying the largest one.

What does a nonzero coefficient mean?

A nonzero coefficient means that the term has a numerical value other than zero. In a polynomial equation, terms with nonzero coefficients are important as they contribute to the overall value of the equation.

How do degree and nonzero coefficients affect the shape of a graph?

The degree of a polynomial equation determines the shape of its graph. For example, a polynomial with an even degree will have a similar shape on both sides of the y-axis, while a polynomial with an odd degree will have opposite shapes on each side of the y-axis. Nonzero coefficients also play a role in determining the steepness and direction of the graph.

Can a polynomial have more than one degree?

No, a polynomial can only have one degree. The degree of a polynomial is determined by the highest power of the variable, and it remains constant throughout the equation. However, a polynomial can have multiple terms with different degrees.

How are degree and nonzero coefficients used in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, degree and nonzero coefficients are used in areas such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and analyze data. They are also used in fields such as computer science and cryptography to solve complex problems and algorithms.