What Determines the Force at the Bottom of a Circular Loop?

• Thread starter darksyesider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Hill
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a circular loop with no friction and starting at rest. The question asks for the force factor at the bottom of the loop, but the radius is not given. After some discussion and attempts at solving, it is determined that the problem is missing the radius and the correct solution is found by substituting a value for y. The force factor is defined as Fa/Fg and the solution is found to be five times.
darksyesider
[Solved] bottom of hill

Homework Statement

No friction, starts at rest.
What is the force factor at the bottom of the circular loop?
(see attachment)

Homework Equations

Conservation of Energy Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

EDIT: Solved below (incorrect solution was here)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi darksyesider! :smile:
darksyesider said:
Then from here I don't know what to do since the radius is not given. (see diagram)

yes, you certainly need to know the radius :confused:

i'll guess it's supposed to be 2h

I think this problem is missing the radius. I don't see how else to solve it.

yes :smile: try 2h

So is the answer 5 times?

I got:

[tex] F_N = \dfrac{m(2gy)}{r}+mg [/tex]

[tex] = mg(\dfrac{2y}{r}+1) [/tex]

Since force factor = Fa/Fg

[tex] ff = \dfrac{mg(\dfrac{2y}{r} + 1 )}{mg} [/tex]

Substituting in y = 2r we get 5 times.

if force factor = Fa/Fg, yes :smile:

Sorry, but is that the incorrect definition? :(
I can't find any other definition of it…
And thanks a lot for the help!

darksyesider said:
Sorry, but is that the incorrect definition?

i've never heard of it before :redface:

but I'm happy to take your word for it … and if it is, your answer looks fine :smile:

FAQ: What Determines the Force at the Bottom of a Circular Loop?

What is the force at the bottom of a hill?

The force at the bottom of a hill is the combination of the gravitational force and the normal force acting on an object.

How is the force at the bottom of a hill calculated?

The force at the bottom of a hill can be calculated using the formula F = mg + N, where F is the total force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and N is the normal force.

Does the force at the bottom of a hill change depending on the mass of the object?

Yes, the force at the bottom of a hill will change depending on the mass of the object. As the mass increases, so does the gravitational force acting on the object, resulting in a higher total force at the bottom of the hill.

Is the force at the bottom of a hill different for objects of different shapes and sizes?

No, the force at the bottom of a hill is not affected by the shape or size of the object. It is solely determined by the mass of the object and the gravitational force acting on it.

How does the incline of the hill affect the force at the bottom?

The incline of the hill will affect the force at the bottom by changing the angle at which the gravitational force acts on the object. A steeper incline will result in a higher gravitational force and therefore a higher total force at the bottom of the hill.