What Determines the Peak Angular Speed of a Rotating Cylinder?

In summary, at the maximum angular speed of the roller, the drive force should be removed at 2.78 seconds in order to prevent the roller from reversing its direction of rotation.
menglish20

Homework Statement

In a manufacturing process, a large, cylindrical roller is used to flatten material fed beneath it. The diameter of the roller is 1.00 m, and, while being driven into rotation around a fixed axis, its angular position is expressed as

θ =2.50t2 - 0.600t3

where θ is in radians and t is in seconds. (a) Find the maximum angular speed of the roller. (b) What is the maximum tangential speed of a point on the rim of the roller? (c) At what time t should the driving force be removed from the roller so that the roller does not reverse its direction of rotation? (d) Through how many rotations has the roller turned between t=0 and the time found in part (c)?

Homework Equations

I think this has to do with translational and angular quantities. ac=v2/r=rω² might be useful.

For part b, at=rα

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the derivative of the rotational position to get angular speed in terms of t. I know the radius is .5 m. I don't understand how a max speed can be reached, as it would increase indefinitely with time. I don't think I'm grasping the problem. I also don't understand how the roller could reverse its direction. Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, menglish20! :smile:

In the manufacturing process, the roller would be first accelerated to a max speed and then decelerated to a stop.

You said you calculated the derivative. So what did you get?
You did solve it for being equal to zero?
Note that you're only interested in solutions where t > 0 and the where t is smaller than the time where the angular velocity becomes zero again.

Glad to be here :smile:

Right so the derivative would be
ω=5t - 1.8t2
So I solve for that set to zero, and i get t = 0, 2.78.

So I know the time where the velocity peaks is between those times. I'm going to guess that it acts parabolic, so the peak must be the midpoint, so t=1.389 s.
With that, I find vmax=3.47 rad/s

For part c, the driving force should be removed at 2.78s correct? If not I guess I still don't understand what's going on in terms of the manufacturing process.

menglish20 said:
Glad to be here :smile:

Right so the derivative would be
ω=5t - 1.8t2
So I solve for that set to zero, and i get t = 0, 2.78.

Good! :smile:

menglish20 said:
So I know the time where the velocity peaks is between those times. I'm going to guess that it acts parabolic, so the peak must be the midpoint, so t=1.389 s.
With that, I find vmax=3.47 rad/s

Actually, you calculated the max angular velocity here.
This is not the tangential velocity.

Edit: Do you know the relation between these two?
Btw, you may have found by now, that the relevant equations you mentioned are not needed in this problem.

menglish20 said:
For part c, the driving force should be removed at 2.78s correct? If not I guess I still don't understand what's going on in terms of the manufacturing process.

Yes! :wink:
At this time the angular velocity is zero, so if the angular acceleration is set to zero, it will remain zero, which is intended.

Do you know the relation between these two?
Btw, you may have found by now, that the relevant equations you mentioned are not needed in this problem.

v=rw

So, I'd take .5 * 3.47 = 1.74 m/s.

Then for part d,

θ = 6.43, so the number of rotations would be 1.02.

All these answers match the given solutions, thanks for clarifying this problem!

You're welcome! :smile:

And thanks for taking the time to finish this thread and say thanks.

Related to What Determines the Peak Angular Speed of a Rotating Cylinder?

1. What is maximum angular speed?

Maximum angular speed is the highest possible rate at which an object can rotate around a fixed point. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is maximum angular speed calculated?

Maximum angular speed can be calculated by dividing the angle of rotation by the time it takes to complete that rotation. This can also be expressed as the change in angular displacement over the change in time.

3. What factors affect the maximum angular speed of an object?

The maximum angular speed of an object can be affected by its mass, shape, and the force or torque applied to it. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in limiting an object's maximum angular speed.

4. Why is maximum angular speed important in physics?

Maximum angular speed is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand how objects move and rotate. It is also used in the study of rotational motion and can help predict the behavior of objects in motion.

5. How is maximum angular speed different from linear speed?

Maximum angular speed is the rate of rotation of an object, while linear speed is the rate of movement in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in angles per unit time, while linear speed is measured in distance per unit time. Additionally, an object's maximum angular speed can be affected by its distance from the axis of rotation, while linear speed is not affected by distance from the starting point.