What Determines the Time Dependent Value of A[t] in Quasi-Static Approximations?

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with understanding how to solve integrals and differential equations involving a function A[t]. The solution involves assuming A[t] to be a constant, solving the equation, and then replacing A with A[t] to obtain an approximate solution. This approach is used in the quasi-static approximation, where U is large enough that f(t) is closer to a constant temperature than a constant flux boundary condition.
mk747pe
Hello,

I'm working on my bachelor's thesis, and I ran into a problem. In the text they say: "For hot
oil/watering jobs, U is typically large enough that f(t) is closer to a constant temperature than
constant flux boundary condition. In the quasi-static approximation,
these integrals are solved assuming that A[t] is a constant independent of time and then the
appropriate time dependent value of A[t] is plugged into the approximate solutions."

I don't understand how to do it. What will be that "appropriate time dependent value of A[t]"?View attachment 7574

I will be grateful for any advice,
Full text in the attachment,

Thanks in advance. Full text View attachment 7575

Attachments

• Hot Oil.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 962247.1.pdf
    108.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
mk747pe said:
Hello,

I'm working on my bachelor's thesis, and I ran into a problem. In the text they say: "For hot
oil/watering jobs, U is typically large enough that f(t) is closer to a constant temperature than
constant flux boundary condition. In the quasi-static approximation,
these integrals are solved assuming that A[t] is a constant independent of time and then the
appropriate time dependent value of A[t] is plugged into the approximate solutions."

I don't understand how to do it. What will be that "appropriate time dependent value of A[t]"?

I will be grateful for any advice,
Full text in the attachment,

Thanks in advance. Full text

Hi mk747pe! Welcome to MHB! ;)

Your documents seem to be missing some context.
Anyway, my current interpretation is that we presumably have a fully known function A[t].
And we want to integrate something or solve some differential equation (that I can't seem to find) that includes A[t].
To do so, we assume A[t] to be constant to make it easier to integrate or solve the equation.
That is, we replace A[t] everywhere by A.
And when we have found the solution, we replace every occurrence of A again by A[t] for an approximate solution.

Btw, since this seems to be more about understanding what it all means than about actually integrating or solving a differential equation, I'm moving your thread to Other Advanced Topics.

Related to What Determines the Time Dependent Value of A[t] in Quasi-Static Approximations?

What is a "function into constant"?

A function into constant refers to the mathematical concept of transforming a function into a value that does not change. This can be achieved by setting the independent variable to a specific value or by taking the limit of the function as the independent variable approaches a certain value.

Why would you want to convert a function into a constant?

Converting a function into a constant can be useful for simplifying calculations and solving equations. It can also help to identify the behavior of a function at a specific point or to evaluate the function at a particular value.

How do you convert a function into a constant?

The process of converting a function into a constant will depend on the specific function and the desired outcome. In general, you can set the independent variable to a specific value or take the limit of the function as the independent variable approaches a certain value. Other methods, such as integration or differentiation, may also be used depending on the situation.

What is the difference between a function and a constant?

A function is a relation between two variables where each input (independent variable) corresponds to exactly one output (dependent variable). A constant, on the other hand, is a fixed value that does not change. In other words, a function can have different values for different inputs, while a constant always remains the same.

Can all functions be converted into constants?

No, not all functions can be converted into constants. Some functions, such as exponential and logarithmic functions, do not have a constant value that they approach as the independent variable changes. These types of functions are known as asymptotic functions.