What did I do wrong in solving this basic differential equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a basic differential equation of the form du/dt=(u^2)*(sin t) and the steps taken to solve it using the method of separation of variables. The final solution obtained is y = 1/(cos t + c), which is found to be incorrect due to a mistake in the integration process. After realizing the mistake, the correct solution is found to be y = 1/(cos t + c).
Tzabcan
I have this basic differential equation du/dt=(u^2)*(sin t)

This is obviously a separable diff eq.

So what I've done is:

g(t) = sin t h(u) = u^2

1/(u^2) du = sin t dt

Integrating both side...

1/y = - cos t + c

therefor y = - 1/(cos t + c)Which is wrong, there isn't supposed to be a minus sign apparently. I don't know what I've done wrong. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tzabcan said:
I have this basic differential equation du/dt=(u^2)*(sin t)

This is obviously a separable diff eq.

So what I've done is:

g(t) = sin t h(u) = u^2

1/(u^2) du = sin t dt

Integrating both side...

1/y = - cos t + c

[itex]\frac{d}{du}(u^{-1}) = - u^{-2}[/itex], so you should have [tex]
-\frac1u = -\cos t + c
[/tex]

therefor y = - 1/(cos t + c)Which is wrong, there isn't supposed to be a minus sign apparently. I don't know what I've done wrong. Any suggestions? Thanks.

pasmith said:
[itex]\frac{d}{du}(u^{-1}) = - u^{-2}[/itex], so you should have [tex]
-\frac1u = -\cos t + c
[/tex]

Ah! Wow I'm so dumb haha, 3 hours sleep :D lol.

Thanks a lot.

Related to What did I do wrong in solving this basic differential equation?

1. What is a basic differential equation?

A basic differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is used to describe the behavior of systems that change continuously over time or space.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations can be solved using techniques such as separation of variables, while partial differential equations often require more advanced methods.

3. What are the applications of basic differential equations?

Basic differential equations have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model physical systems, predict the behavior of complex systems, and analyze real-world data.

4. What are initial and boundary conditions in differential equations?

Initial conditions are values of the unknown function and its derivatives at a specific point, usually at the beginning of the system's evolution. Boundary conditions are values of the unknown function and its derivatives at the boundaries of the system. These conditions are necessary to fully determine the solution to a differential equation.

5. How can I solve a basic differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, the method of undetermined coefficients, and the method of variation of parameters. It is important to identify the type of differential equation and apply the appropriate method for solving it.