What did my neighbor do to give me internet access through his wifi?

• Thread starter jd12345
  • Start date
In summary, the college has a secured wifi network but a neighboring student has somehow set up an unsecured connection to the college network using a LAN port. This allows the student to access the internet through their own router, which is connected to the college network. This is not considered hacking, but it may be a violation of the college's policies and should be reported to the IT technician. The connection works by going through the neighboring student's wifi, then to the college network, and finally to the internet.
jd12345
Ok - my college has a wifi but it is secured with a password. A guy beside my room did something and i am able to get internet connection somehow.
Here is what happens-
I get a wifi connection with the guy's name. I connect to it and then that wifi inturn connects to the college wifi giving me internet. I don't know what he did - all he tells me is that he didnt hack the college wifi password. He did something else - he used some lan port(I don't know what this is) or something
Any idea what he did?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hey jd12345.

A LAN is basically a cable based connection to a network. It sounds like what he did is basically connect a LAN cable to some connection that has a direct link to the university network and you are using that instead.

It's basically those blue cables you see everywhere in a room full of computers and if he is talking about that kind of port, then that's all it is.

Maybe he has set up a LAN connection to this ? :smile:

More then likely, The connection you are seeing is "the guy next door's" Wi-Fi router, his router is directly connected to your colledge's internal network the library computers for example or all classroom computers are connected this way, where as staff laptops connect through the schools protected wifi.

His wifi is unsecured and is sharing the colledge's network connection in turn the internet connection aswell.

So there is no hacking involved its more just sharing a wired connection without adding security to it, The school must have no proxy server to stop this from happening, i would contact your IT Technician and let him know what this guy is doing as I am sure his doing something that is looked down upon due to the colledge wifi having security.

Your train of thought is quite accurate but the connection works as follows
Next door's Wifi -> Schools Network -> Schools Internet.
Rather than
Next door's Wifi -> Schools Wifi -> Schools Network -> Schools Internet.

It is possible that your neighbor set up a wifi repeater or range extender in his room, which picks up the college wifi signal and extends it to your room. This would explain why you are able to connect to his wifi and then access the college wifi. Using a LAN port could also suggest that he set up a wired connection from his room to yours, allowing you to access the college wifi through his connection. Without more information, it is difficult to determine exactly what he did, but it is important to note that accessing someone else's wifi without their permission is not ethical or legal. It is always best to have your own secure internet connection.

Related to What did my neighbor do to give me internet access through his wifi?

1. What is the purpose of "What the heck did he do?"

The phrase "What the heck did he do?" is often used to express confusion or surprise about someone's actions. It is not a scientific concept or term, but rather a colloquial expression.

2. Is there a specific scientific definition for "What the heck did he do?"

No, there is no scientific definition for this phrase. It is simply a way for someone to express confusion or surprise about another person's actions.

3. Can "What the heck did he do?" be used in a scientific context?

No, this phrase is not typically used in scientific contexts. It is more commonly used in casual conversation or informal situations.

4. How can we avoid using "What the heck did he do?" in scientific writing?

To maintain professionalism and clarity in scientific writing, it is best to avoid using colloquial phrases like "What the heck did he do?" Instead, use specific and descriptive language to accurately convey the actions being discussed.

5. Are there any alternatives to using "What the heck did he do?"

Yes, there are many alternative phrases or expressions that can be used to express confusion or surprise, such as "What on earth did he do?" "What in the world did he do?" or "What was he thinking?" It is important to consider the tone and context of the conversation when choosing an appropriate expression.

Back