What direction must the fielder take

• Thread starter hitemup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the conversation discusses the direction and angle at which an outfielder must move to catch a baseball hit at an initial speed of 28m/s at a 55 ∘ angle to the horizontal. It is determined that the time for the ball to reach the same height is 4.68 s and the range is 75.16 m. The angle between the green arrow and the line marked with 85 is determined to be 61 degrees based on the sine theorem. Therefore, the outfielder should move at a 61 degree angle with respect to their line of sight to home plate in order to catch the ball at the same height from which it was struck.
hitemup
At t=0 a batter hits a baseball with an initial speed of 28m/s at a 55 ∘ angle to the horizontal. An outfielder is 85 m from the batter at t=0 and, as seen from home plate, the line of sight to the outfielder makes a horizontal angle of 22 ∘ with the plane in which the ball moves (as shown in the figure).

GIANCOLI.ch03.p098.jpg

What direction must the fielder take to catch the ball at the same height from which it was struck? Give the angle with respect to the outfielder's line of sight to home plate.
Express your answer to two significant figures and include the appropriate units.

Attempt

First of all, I couldn't understand what angle it is talking about. But I've managed to do some computations related to the baseball.

Time for the same height = (28*sin(55))*2/g = 4.68 s
Range = 28*cos(55)*28*sin(55)*2/g = 75.16 m

When you draw a triangle with 75, 85 and the distance that will be run, you need an angle to find the unknown length. Is it 22 degrees in this case?

Assuming that degree 22, by cosine theorem you get the distance outfielder runs = 32m.

But as I still don't have an idea what angle is to be found, I can't go any further than this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Funny, I have done the solution right now.
With the triangle I've formed, say the angle between 85 and 75 is alpha.

By the sine theorem:
sin(22)/32 = sin(alpha)/75
you have the correct answer from this equation, 61.

Can somebody just show what angle I just found out? Because I am beginning to feel like this.
Even-I-Dont-Knowwhat-i-am-doing.jpg

You found the angle between the green arrow and the line marked with 85.

Related to What direction must the fielder take

What direction must the fielder take?

The direction the fielder must take depends on the position of the ball and the desired outcome of the play. It is important for the fielder to assess the situation quickly and make a decision based on their training and experience.

How does the position of the ball affect the direction the fielder must take?

The position of the ball is a crucial factor in determining the direction the fielder must take. If the ball is hit to the left, the fielder will need to move to the left to catch it. If the ball is hit to the right, the fielder will need to move to the right. The fielder must also consider the height and trajectory of the ball when making their decision.

What factors influence the desired outcome of the play for the fielder?

The desired outcome of the play for the fielder is typically to make an out by catching the ball or fielding it and throwing it to a teammate. However, other factors such as the speed and direction of the runners on the bases, the number of outs, and the score of the game may also play a role in the fielder's decision-making process.

How does the fielder's training and experience come into play when determining the direction to take?

A fielder's training and experience play a significant role in their ability to quickly assess the situation and make the best decision on which direction to take. Through practice and game experience, fielders develop instincts and techniques for fielding the ball and making plays.

Are there any common mistakes fielders make when determining the direction to take?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes fielders make when determining the direction to take. These include not communicating with their teammates, hesitating or second-guessing their decision, or not properly assessing the situation. However, with proper training and experience, these mistakes can be minimized and fielders can make more effective plays.