What Direction Should You Row to Cross a River Straight Across?

• Thread starter negation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    River
In summary, the person attempting to row across a river wishes to row at a steady 1.3 m/s relative to the water and the river flows at 5.7 m/s. They should head in the direction of the arrow on the river and it will take them 48.5 seconds to cross the river.
negation

Homework Statement

You wish to row straight across a 63m wide river. You can row at a steady 1.3 m/s relative to the water, and the river flows at 5.7 m/s. In what direction should you head? How long will it take you to cross the river?

The Attempt at a Solution

Capture.JPG

Is the answer right? Could the answer equally be 26°?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this with simple logic for a minute. The river is flowing downstream at some speed. In order to not be at all swept downstream, the upstream component of your rowing speed relative to the river has to exactly match the downstream speed of the river. Is that possible in this problem?

Likes 1 person
phinds said:
Think about this with simple logic for a minute. The river is flowing downstream at some speed. In order to not be at all swept downstream, the upstream component of your rowing speed relative to the river has to exactly match the downstream speed of the river. Is that possible in this problem?

I suppose the answer is 116° instead of 64°.

negation said:
I suppose the answer is 116° instead of 64°.

Are you going to answer my question or just continue to ignore it?

phinds said:
Are you going to answer my question or just continue to ignore it?

I've already answered it. In rowing at 116° from the x-axis, the boat goes against the current, no?

I tried solving it from another approach, where;

(1.3ms^-1)^2 = (0.57ms^-1)^2 +y^2
y = 1.168ms^-1
theta = 26°

You need to reread my question in post #2. You have not answered it.

phinds said:
There's a typo in the OP. If you look at the attachment you'll see the river speed is given as 0.57 m/s.
Yes, negation, the answer is 26 degrees to the normal.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
There's a typo in the OP. If you look at the attachment you'll see the river speed is given as 0.57 m/s.

Ah ... well that explains it.

haruspex said:

My mistake for the typo. I apologize.
Would that be the same as 116 degrees from the x-axis since it would in other words implies 26 degrees NW.

Edit: I think it is.

phinds said:

It's not possible since
v_downwards> v_upwards.
I made a typo in the values.

negation said:
My mistake for the typo. I apologize.
Would that be the same as 116 degrees from the x-axis since it would in other words implies 26 degrees NW.

Since the OP says nothing about x or y axes, nor about compass directions, that's impossible to answer.
In terms of river bank and direction of flow of river, where were you measuring 116 degrees from?

haruspex said:
Since the OP says nothing about x or y axes, nor about compass directions, that's impossible to answer.
In terms of river bank and direction of flow of river, where were you measuring 116 degrees from?

I measured 116° from the x-axis.
That would put the boat in quadrant 2 but of course since there was no reference point mentioned by the question, it could equally be implied 26° NW, 64° from the x-axis or 26° NE, isn't it?
I have a preference for 116° from the x-axis to do away with all the bearings.

negation said:
I measured 116° from the x-axis.
That would put the boat in quadrant 2 but of course since there was no reference point mentioned by the question, it could equally be implied 26° NW, 64° from the x-axis or 26° NE, isn't it?
I have a preference for 116° from the x-axis to do away with all the bearings.
I cannot see inside your head. I do not know where your x-axis is, nor which way the river runs in terms of a compass bearing.

haruspex said:
I cannot see inside your head. I do not know where your x-axis is, nor which way the river runs in terms of a compass bearing.

Untitled.jpg

There.

How long will it take?
t=d/v
t=63/1.3=48.5 s
is it correct?
i am comfused since the answer in my textbook tells that t=53.9 s.
please, provide me with explanation.
Regards.

Mahmood Abd said:
How long will it take?
t=d/v
t=63/1.3=48.5 s
is it correct?
i am comfused since the answer in my textbook tells that t=53.9 s.
please, provide me with explanation.
Regards.
The 1.3m/s is the rowing speed relative to the water. It would take 48.5 s if you were to head straight across, relative to the water. But then you would end up somewhat downstream when you landed. In order to row straight across relative to the riverbank, you have to aim a little upstream. That means some of your 1.3m/s is spent countering the flow of the water.

FAQ: What Direction Should You Row to Cross a River Straight Across?

1. How does rowing across a river differ from rowing on a lake?

Rowing across a river requires more skill and technique compared to rowing on a lake. This is because rivers often have currents and obstacles, such as rocks or branches, that can affect the direction and speed of the boat. Rowers must also be aware of the water depth and adjust their strokes accordingly.

2. Can rowing across a river be dangerous?

Yes, rowing across a river can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. Strong currents, rapids, and debris in the water can pose a risk to the rower's safety. It is important to have proper training, wear a life jacket, and be aware of the river conditions before attempting to row across a river.

3. What type of boat is best for rowing across a river?

There are a few different types of boats that are suitable for rowing across a river. In general, a stable and sturdy boat with a pointed bow and stern, such as a flat-bottomed skiff or a canoe, is recommended. These types of boats can handle the currents and obstacles in a river better than other types of boats.

4. How do rowers navigate a river while rowing across it?

Rowers use a combination of techniques to navigate a river while rowing across it. They must constantly adjust their strokes to counter the current and avoid obstacles. They may also use landmarks on the shore or a compass to help them stay on course. Some experienced rowers also use a technique called "ferrying" to cross the river at an angle instead of directly across.

5. How long does it take to row across a river?

The time it takes to row across a river can vary depending on factors such as the width and speed of the river, the strength of the rower, and the boat being used. On average, it could take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour to row across a river. However, it is important to take breaks and rest if needed, as rowing across a river can be physically demanding.