What Do I Need to Know for Calculus 2?

In summary, for Calculus II you'll need to know differential and integral theory, as well as how to apply these theories to solve problems. If you have a graphing calculator, that will be helpful, but isn't necessary.
Quadruple Bypass
I overheard some of my classmates in Cal 1 talking about how the professor is only going over basic things and we arent even ready for Cal 2. so my question is what do i need to know for Cal 2? I want to try to get ready for it over the break. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
If I was in your situation I would continue where the class left off
and check the course description to see what Calculus 2 is supposed to cover. A solutions manual to your book, if available and if you don't have one, is probably a great idea also. Goodluck and have fun:)

If your Calc. 2 class is like mine was, you'll need to know differentian rules and the fundamental theorem of calculus. You'll start the class on the FTC then move on to integration rules and techniques.

You should definitely check out the syllabus ahead of time though. That's a good idea in general, actually.

Quadruple Bypass said:
what do i need to know for Cal 2?

Only someone who knows the calculus courses at your school can answer that question. Different schools divide topics differently among the courses in their calculus sequence.

MY calc 1 class basically mostly covered all of the fundamentals of differential calculus (limits, derivative definition and rules, FTC, graphing by first and second derivatives and critical points, optimization, related rates, and some basic integration by substitution). If your calc 1 class is covering all of these things, then you will be ready for most calc 2 classes.

IF yoru calc 2 class is anything like my calc 2 class, it will cover integration techniques and series. (integration of various trig functions, trig sub, integration by parts, integration by partial fractions, maclaurin and taylor series, series tests, and arc length). the calc 1 concepts above were sufficient preparation for calc 2.

wow that sucks. he didnt let us use calculators in the class so i guess he went easy on us because all we did really go over was limits, derivatives, max and min values, mean value thm, and very basic antiderivatives

Continue your study of antiderivatives, and you should be okay. Read about the Fundamental theorem of Calculus, finding ares, and finding volumes.

Quadruple Bypass said:
wow that sucks. he didnt let us use calculators in the class so i guess he went easy on us because all we did really go over was limits, derivatives, max and min values, mean value thm, and very basic antiderivatives

MY calc prof did not allow calculators either, but your class didn't cover much less than mine.

Last edited:
my cal2 was double integral, del operator, and series.
graphic calculater wasnt allowed in the class. but i finished my final without anything but a pencil. (scientific was okay)

leon1127 said:
my cal2 was double integral, del operator, and series.
graphic calculater wasnt allowed in the class. but i finished my final without anything but a pencil. (scientific was okay)

That was my Calc IV. Well, no, series was Calc II. But all the multivariable was Calc IV for me (we're on quarters not semesters).

Just study the fundamental theories behind integration, then I would move on to techniques of integration (the basic tricks behind solving integral problems), and if you have time to applications of integration.

Thanks everyone for your help! :D

Related to What Do I Need to Know for Calculus 2?

What is Calculus 2?

Calculus 2 is the second course in the study of calculus, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change.

What topics are covered in Calculus 2?

In Calculus 2, students typically cover topics such as integration techniques, applications of integration, sequences and series, parametric and polar curves, and vector calculus.

What is the difference between Calculus 1 and Calculus 2?

Calculus 1 typically covers the basics of differentiation and integration, while Calculus 2 builds upon those concepts and covers more advanced topics such as integration techniques and applications, sequences and series, and vector calculus.

Do I need to take Calculus 1 before taking Calculus 2?

Yes, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of the concepts covered in Calculus 1 before moving on to Calculus 2.

How can I succeed in Calculus 2?

To succeed in Calculus 2, it is important to attend class regularly, take thorough notes, practice solving problems regularly, and seek help from your instructor or tutoring services if needed.