What do Red and Green Indicator Lamps Mean for Machinery Operation?

• Thread starter Mongster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Green
In summary, the Red or Green indicator lamp is on when the machine is running or the motor has stopped.
Mongster
Hey all, I am curious what does it mean when the Red or Green indicator lamp is on. I know generally red means dangerous situation while green means safe zones but what about the running of say machinery?
Let me put in 2 scenarios and do share your thoughts with me which colour is for which and why? :)

1) Machine is running
2) Motor has stopped

Engineering news on Phys.org
In the USA, Green means on and red means off, at least most of the time. But there are so many exceptions, that it is really bad to depend on colors alone.

red-green-off-button-23487464.jpg

stock-vector-vector-on-off-green-and-red-sliders-259178990.jpg

Below is an example of the exceptions.

kcd6-Red-Green-Light-6Pins-Double-SPST-On-Off-Rocker-Boat-Switch-AC-250V-15A-125V.jpg

Likes Mongster
Conventions vary across industries:

http://control.com/thread/968872778

You will have to see where the machine will be used and use the prevailing convention.

Likes Mongster
Ahhh I see... It's interesting to know that it varies! I've always thought that it would be standardised across the world much like the colour scheme of the traffic lights. Thank you all for sharing and yeap I will enter the link provided by jedishrfu and understand more! :)

Context is everything. For years red LEDs were/are used to indicate equipment is powered up. Mostly became red LEDs were the cheapest colour.

I worked in US utility industry from 1969-2004.
At my utility RED meant a device is ACTIVE and could hurt you.
ie
a valve is capable of passing fluid ie OPEN
a switch or circuit breaker is capable of passing current ie CLOSED
a pump or motor is TURNING so don't grab it

for us, a valve that's only partially open has BOTH lights ON indicating it's at least mildly active .
Some utilities in early days used both lights extinguished for partially open, but we preferred that both lights out tell you it's lost power and you need to fix something.

I believe that has become a utility industry standard .
ANSI? ISA? NFPA? ISO? There are sooo many standards organizations nowadays.

Observe the red "Hot Surface" light on modern cooktops.

old jim

Likes dlgoff
Mongster said:
Ahhh I see... It's interesting to know that it varies! I've always thought that it would be standardised across the world much like the colour scheme of the traffic lights. Thank you all for sharing and yeap I will enter the link provided by jedishrfu and understand more! :)
It's tricky to depend solely on colors for this type of safety situation, since there is a fraction of the population which is red-green color blind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

Here in the UK we follow the EU Low Voltage Directive and under our own Machinery code BS60204

Red indicator - Emergency (Hazardous Condition)
Green indicator - Normal condition

Like others have said there are many exceptions and the regulations do state 'unless otherwise agreed' so there is no real hard fast rule but on recommendation, I often go outside the recommendations due to other machinery close buy using differing codes so as to lessen the confusion to the operators.

Noting here you have specified Indicator Lamps and not the colour of illuminated push buttons or switches which also have there own recommendations.

Last edited:
Of course we have neglected the red/green convention that really is used world wide with no exceptions that I know of. That is the left/right lights used on boats and aircraft, and the red/green lights on red/green navigation buoys.

Likes dlgoff
CWatters said:
Mostly became red LEDs were the cheapest colour.
The ONLY colour, for many years. Can you really be that young. You sound /read soooo mature. :wink:

anorlunda said:
and the red/green lights on red/green navigation buoys.
Did you know that the buoyage in tidal channels is different on the two sides of the Atlantic? That is more scary than a simple 2:1 voltage difference imo.

sophiecentaur said:
Did you know that the buoyage in tidal channels is different on the two sides of the Atlantic? That is more scary than a simple 2:1 voltage difference imo.

No I didn't know that Sophie. Thank you. I'm reading up on that now in Wikipedia. It says that there used to be 30 different systems, but now there are just two. At least none use blue/yellow buoys.

The convention about which is left or right is not as critical as it could be because you can't always tell if your course is toward or away from the port. I recently boated from coast to coast in Florida. In that passage the left/right buoyage necessarily flips at an arbitrary point somewhere in the middle. So no matter what the convention, boaters must be alert for those places where red/green left/right flips.

Likes sophiecentaur

Related to What do Red and Green Indicator Lamps Mean for Machinery Operation?

1. What is the purpose of green and red indicator lamps?

Green and red indicator lamps are used to provide visual indications of a device's status. The green lamp typically indicates that the device is functioning properly, while the red lamp indicates an issue or error that requires attention.

2. How do green and red indicator lamps work?

Green and red indicator lamps are usually LED lights that are wired to a control circuit. When the device is functioning properly, the circuit allows electricity to flow through the green lamp, lighting it up. If there is an issue, the circuit will prevent electricity from reaching the green lamp and instead allow it to flow through the red lamp, signaling the error.

3. Can green and red indicator lamps be used for different purposes?

Yes, green and red indicator lamps can be used for various purposes depending on the device they are connected to. In addition to indicating status, they can also be used for warning or alert signals, such as in vehicles or machinery.

4. How long do green and red indicator lamps usually last?

The lifespan of green and red indicator lamps can vary depending on the quality of the components and the frequency of use. However, on average, LED indicator lamps can last anywhere from 25,000 to 100,000 hours.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using green and red indicator lamps?

As with any electrical device, it is essential to follow proper safety precautions when using green and red indicator lamps. This includes ensuring they are properly wired, using appropriate voltage levels, and following any manufacturer instructions. It is also crucial to regularly check and maintain the indicator lamps to prevent any potential safety hazards.