What do S1 and S2 look like on the complex plane under e^z?

In summary: I am having difficulty visualizing the sets. Can you help me understand what they look like? I do not know what it looks like in the complex plane. What can I do to help me visualize it?
Polamaluisraw
Complex Variables - Mappings under e^z

Homework Statement

Find the image of S1,S2 under ez.
S1 = {z=x+iy : 0 < y < [itex]\pi[/itex] }
S2 = {z=x+iy : x > 0, 0 < y < [itex]\pi[/itex] }

Homework Equations

w=ez
w=[itex]\rho[/itex]ei[itex]\varphi[/itex]
[itex]\rho[/itex]=ex, [itex]\varphi[/itex]=y

The Attempt at a Solution

Did not know how to get started. I don't know how to use the above equations to help me. Thank you very very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Polamaluisraw said:

Homework Statement

Find the image of S1,S2 under ez.
S1 = {z=x+iy : 0 < y < [itex]\pi[/itex] }
S2 = {z=x+iy : x > 0, 0 < y < [itex]\pi[/itex] }

Homework Equations

w=ez
w=[itex]\rho[/itex]ei[itex]\varphi[/itex]
[itex]\rho[/itex]=ex, [itex]\varphi[/itex]=y

The Attempt at a Solution

Did not know how to get started. I don't know how to use the above equations to help me. Thank you very very much!
You might start by identifying what the set, S1 and S2 are.

The answer the professor has is {ω= u + iv : v > 0}.

I really do not understand how to use the equations and arrive here. I HAVE to be missing something simple. I really appreciate any help that can push me into the right direction

Polamaluisraw said:
The answer the professor has is {ω= u + iv : v > 0}.

I really do not understand how to use the equations and arrive here. I HAVE to be missing something simple. I really appreciate any help that can push me into the right direction
So, do you know what the sets S1 and S2 look like on the complex plane ?

(I tried to push you this way earlier.)

SammyS said:
So, do you know what the sets S1 and S2 look like on the complex plane ?

(I tried to push you this way earlier.)
I do not know what it looks like in the complex plane. What can I do to help me visualize it?
I really appreciate the help

Related to What do S1 and S2 look like on the complex plane under e^z?

What are complex variables?

Complex variables are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary component. They are typically represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the square root of -1.

What is a mapping in complex variables?

In complex variables, a mapping is a function that takes in a complex number as an input and produces another complex number as the output. It can be thought of as a transformation that maps points in the complex plane to other points.

What is a conformal mapping?

A conformal mapping is a type of mapping in complex variables that preserves angles and shapes. This means that the mapping preserves the local geometry of the complex plane, making it useful in solving problems involving complex functions.

How are mappings represented mathematically in complex variables?

In complex variables, mappings are typically represented using a combination of algebraic and geometric methods. This can include using equations, graphs, and visual representations such as the Riemann sphere to visualize and analyze mappings.

What are some applications of mappings in complex variables?

Mappings in complex variables have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve problems in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, as well as in geometric and analytical problems related to complex functions.