What Do Standby and Cyclic Use Ratings Mean for Batteries?

In summary, battery standby refers to a battery's ability to retain its charge without being used, while cyclic use refers to the battery being discharged and recharged repeatedly. The more frequently a battery is used, the shorter its overall lifespan will be. Factors such as temperature, storage conditions, and battery type can affect standby time. To prolong standby time, it is important to store the battery in a cool and dry place and keep it charged to around 50%. Using a battery in standby mode is better than fully discharging and recharging it, as this can decrease its lifespan. Only occasionally fully discharging and recharging a battery is recommended for calibration purposes.
fulmenatrum
I've been doing a project recently that requires a UB1250ZH Universal Battery rated 12V and 5Ah. Although I understand the concept of Ah, I'm having a difficult time in figuring out what the ratings for standby and cyclic use mean. For an example, it says -

Standby Use: 12.6-13.8V, the Initial Current is 0.75A
Cyclic Use: 14.5-14.9V, Initial Current: 1.5A

Does this have something to do with recharging?

Thank you! Any help would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Do Standby and Cyclic Use Ratings Mean for Batteries?

What is battery standby and how does it differ from cyclic use?

Battery standby refers to the amount of time a battery can retain its charge without being used. Cyclic use, on the other hand, refers to the battery being discharged and recharged repeatedly.

How does battery standby affect the overall lifespan of a battery?

The more frequently a battery is used, the shorter its overall lifespan will be. This is because each time a battery is discharged and recharged, it undergoes a small amount of wear and tear. Therefore, a battery with a longer standby time will typically have a longer lifespan.

What factors affect the standby time of a battery?

The standby time of a battery can be affected by various factors such as temperature, storage conditions, and the type of battery. Higher temperatures can cause batteries to self-discharge more quickly, reducing their standby time. Poor storage conditions, such as exposure to moisture or extreme temperatures, can also decrease standby time.

How can I prolong the standby time of my battery?

To prolong the standby time of a battery, it is important to store it in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight. It is also recommended to keep the battery charged to around 50% when not in use, as storing it fully charged or fully discharged can decrease its overall lifespan.

Is it better to use a battery in standby mode or to fully discharge and recharge it?

It is better to use a battery in standby mode rather than fully discharging and recharging it. Fully discharging and recharging a battery can put additional stress on its cells and decrease its overall lifespan. It is recommended to only fully discharge and recharge a battery occasionally to calibrate its capacity.