What Do the Letters and Symbols in This String Theory Equation Represent?

• Thread starter Bobby Lounsbury
  • Start date
In summary, Polchinski's book discusses a equation that may be related to the one in the image. It is unclear what the letters and symbols represent, but it is an equation that may be used in quantum mechanics.
Bobby Lounsbury

Homework Statement

In my class I am doing a report on the Super String Theory and I have not been able to find what the letters and symbols represent in this equation I attached. If someone understands what they mean please help me. Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1e92dbb5da3c2e2bc775f003023f34ba.png
    1e92dbb5da3c2e2bc775f003023f34ba.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your image is too blurry. Can you check it and upload a better one?

Bobby Lounsbury said:

Homework Statement

In my class I am doing a report on the Super String Theory and I have not been able to find what the letters and symbols represent in this equation I attached. If someone understands what they mean please help me. Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What kind of class is this for?

Where did you get the image of this equation?

Generally, there is a paper or some other article where the author lists the variables in the equations contained in the paper, along with a short description of what they mean.

SteamKing said:
What kind of class is this for?

Where did you get the image of this equation?

Generally, there is a paper or some other article where the author lists the variables in the equations contained in the paper, along with a short description of what they mean.

it is for my science class and I found it under Wikipedia's Super string theory in the mathematics sub heading, the first equation.

IF you look at the reference it comes from Polchinski's book on String Theory on page 173. To me that means that there is a lot of math that is glossed over to get to this equation.

It mentions that computes scattering amplitudes which is key concept of quantum mechanics so investigating that would help you understand the big picture of the equation and how its used in predicting what you would see in an experiment.

Wiki has an article on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scattering_amplitude

A video talking about scattering:

This video talks about computing it although it may be over your head:

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
IF you look at the reference it comes from Polchinski's book on String Theory on page 173. To me that means that there is a lot of math that is glossed over to get to this equation.

It mentions that computes scattering amplitudes which is key concept of quantum mechanics so investigating that would help you understand the big picture of the equation and how its used in predicting what you would see in an experiment.

Wiki has an article on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scattering_amplitude

A video talking about scattering:

This video talks about computing it although it may be over your head:

Thank you so much!

Related to What Do the Letters and Symbols in This String Theory Equation Represent?

What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It consists of numbers, variables, and mathematical symbols such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

Why is it important to understand equations?

Equations are important because they allow us to solve problems and make predictions in various fields such as science, engineering, economics, and more. They are the foundation of mathematical and scientific reasoning.

How can I understand equations better?

Understanding equations takes practice and familiarity with mathematical concepts. It is helpful to break down the equation into smaller parts and identify the variables and operations involved. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources to learn and practice solving equations.

What are the common types of equations?

There are many types of equations, but some of the most common ones include linear equations, quadratic equations, exponential equations, and logarithmic equations. Each type has its own characteristics and methods for solving.

How can I use equations in real-life situations?

Equations are used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the cost of a purchase, predicting the growth of a population, or determining the distance between two points. They can also be used to solve problems in physics, chemistry, and other scientific fields.

Back