What do the sample points mean in a double integral problem?

In summary, when solving a double integral problem, you use a Riemann sum with given parameters to estimate the value of the integral. The sample points are the corners of squares drawn inside the given region, and the value of the function at these points is multiplied by the area of each square and then added together to get the estimated value of the integral. The condition of using the upper left corners of the squares means that the function is evaluated at the upper left corner of each square when calculating the estimate. This may result in slightly different values for the estimate compared to using other corners.
bphysics

Homework Statement

I am getting rather confused when I attempt to solve one of these double integral problems.

A typical problem is phrased like this:
If R = [-1, 3][3,5], use a Riemann sum with m = 4, n = 2 to estimate the value of the following
[tex]\int\int(y^{2}-2x^{2}[/tex]

The problem will then say something like "Take the sample points to be the upper left corners of the squares." What does this mean? There seems to be four separate conditions -- upper left corners, lower left corners, upper right corners, lower right corners.

I am trying to understand what each of these conditions means and how it changes how I solve the problem (I believe it typically changes my x/y set to use).

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand correctly, you're drawing squares inside of the rectangle and estimating the integral by multiplying the area of each square by the value of the function at a point in the square, then adding all of these together. In this particular case it says to use the value of the function in the upper left corner of each square... you solve the problem in exactly the same way only you have slightly different values for your estimate of the function in each square you've drawn

Related to What do the sample points mean in a double integral problem?

1. What is a double integral sample point?

A double integral sample point is a point within a two-dimensional region that is used to calculate the value of a double integral. It is typically denoted by (x,y) and represents a small area within the larger region.

2. How are double integral sample points chosen?

Double integral sample points are typically chosen using a numerical integration method, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods divide the region into smaller subregions and use the values at the endpoints of each subregion to approximate the integral.

3. Why are double integral sample points important?

Double integral sample points are important because they allow us to approximate the value of a double integral, which is a fundamental concept in multivariable calculus and is used in many real-world applications, such as finding the volume under a surface or calculating the mass of an object.

4. Can the number of double integral sample points affect the accuracy of the calculation?

Yes, the number of double integral sample points can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Generally, the more sample points that are used, the more accurate the calculation will be. However, using too many sample points can also lead to computational errors and inefficiency.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my double integral calculation?

To improve the accuracy of a double integral calculation, you can increase the number of sample points, use a more precise numerical integration method, or break the region into smaller subregions and calculate the integral using multiple smaller integrals. It is also important to check for computational errors and make sure the sample points are evenly distributed throughout the region.

Back