What do we know about Holons and Spinons?

• Thread starter FeDeX_LaTeX
  • Start date
In summary, the holon and spinon are quasiparticles that are not the same as fundamental particles. They are used to understand the behavior of electrons in a many-body system. These quasiparticles are not accepted in the same way as fundamental particles, but their existence can be verified through experiments.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hi;

What do we know about the holon and the spinon (the 2 particles that make up an electron)? And have these been accepted in physics?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So I've heard that the holon is also called the chargon, which carries the charge of the electron. The spinon is responsible for the spin of the electron, then?

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Hi;

What do we know about the holon and the spinon (the 2 particles that make up an electron)? And have these been accepted in physics?

Thanks

Im no expert on the matter, but I think you might be misinterpreting what a holon and spinon actually are. According to Wikipedia they are quasiparticles. Quasiparticles and particles are not the same thing. The electron is still thought to be a fundamental particle (cannot be divided). Quasiparticles are a way of understanding the behavior of the electron.

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Hi;

Thanks

You definitely have misinterpreted what these are.

Note that if I have bare, non-interacting electrons, the concept of "holons" and "spins" don't exist, the same way the concept of "phonon" does not exist in a non-interacting system. These are many-body excitations, a collective effect. Their existence are verifiable. But they are not used in the way that you are thinking of.

Zz.

I think I get it, but I sort of don't at the same time. Are you saying it is like stating that a wave can be split up into two particles that carry amplitude and frequency?

So how do we know the holon and spinon quasiparticles exist?

Sorry for the bump but I've been researching this for days and I can't find the answer...

Related to What do we know about Holons and Spinons?

1. What are Holons and Spinons?

Holons and Spinons are theoretical particles that have been proposed to exist in certain quantum systems. Holons are considered to be the charge carriers in a system, while Spinons are thought to carry the system's spin.

2. How were Holons and Spinons discovered?

Holons and Spinons were not discovered in a traditional sense. Instead, they were proposed by physicists to explain certain phenomena observed in quantum systems, such as fractional quantum Hall effect.

3. What is the difference between Holons and Spinons?

The main difference between Holons and Spinons is their respective properties. Holons are believed to carry electric charge, while Spinons carry spin. Additionally, Holons are thought to be mobile particles, while Spinons are considered to be confined within a system.

4. Can Holons and Spinons exist independently?

Yes, Holons and Spinons are believed to be able to exist independently in certain systems. For example, in a fractional quantum Hall system, Holons and Spinons can exist independently and exhibit different behaviors.

5. What are the practical applications of studying Holons and Spinons?

The study of Holons and Spinons is important for understanding the behavior of quantum systems and could potentially lead to advancements in quantum computing and technology. Additionally, the properties of Holons and Spinons could have implications for other areas of physics, such as high-temperature superconductivity.