What do you call this type of problem?

• MHB
  • Thread starter jim1174
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, there are question types that involve looking at charts or graphs and using math to answer them, commonly known as data interpretation questions. These questions typically require basic math skills, but can also involve more advanced concepts. To improve at solving these types of questions, one can practice by critically examining textbooks, magazines, and newspapers on relevant subjects and attempting to reproduce or challenge quantitative claims.
jim1174
When you have a question that requires you to look at a chart or graph then answer the question using math what are these types of questions called? are they just word problems or is there another name for them? any advice on how I can get better at doing these types of questions ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perhaps they are data interpretation questions?

Usually they require some basic mathematics, but nothing too advanced.

I'm afraid I cannot give you tips to prepare specifically for them, as I never had to, but perhaps the linked article can. In general I would say this is something you can learn by critically looking at textbooks and (good) magazines and newspapers on economics, geography, etc and trying to reproduce (or refute) the quantitative claims made there.

FAQ: What do you call this type of problem?

What do you call this type of problem?

This type of problem is commonly referred to as a scientific or research problem. It involves using the scientific method to identify and solve a specific issue or question.

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to answer questions and solve problems. It involves observation, hypothesis formation, experimentation, data analysis, and conclusion drawing.

What is the role of a scientist?

The role of a scientist is to conduct research and experiments, analyze data, and communicate findings to the scientific community. They also play a crucial role in advancing knowledge and understanding in their respective fields.

What skills are important for a scientist?

Important skills for a scientist include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, strong communication abilities, and a strong foundation in mathematics and statistics. Additionally, a curious and creative mindset is essential for scientific inquiry.

What are the ethical considerations in scientific research?

Ethical considerations in scientific research involve ensuring the safety and well-being of participants, obtaining informed consent, and avoiding bias and conflicts of interest. Scientists also have a responsibility to accurately report their findings and avoid any fraudulent or deceptive practices.