What do you do in Year 1 in EEE?

• Thread starter geft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eee Year
In summary, my current plan is to take the first year of EEE to make sure I'm doing well and then decide whether to continue on to Year 2 or not. I'm worried about the difficulty of the course, but I'm also excited about what I think the potential career opportunities are in the tech sector.
geft
Basically, I skipped A levels and went right into Bsc Economics & Finance. I'm graduating this year and am planning to take a second degree in EEE because I don't like my current degree. I choose EEE because I have passion in science and technology, and working in the tech sector is something that I've always wanted. I was an idiot for letting my parents pick a degree for me because I was indecisive and immature, but at least I've developed a good work ethic along the way.

It seems my application was accepted and I was given the option to jump right to Year 2, out of the four-year degree. However, the head of faculty wanted to interview me given my lack of scientific background.

I've done some relevant Math topics like calculus, advanced linear algebra, etc. in my current degree and have done moderately well (second upper), but my foundations in science is very shaky. Skipping a year allows me to progress faster, saving time and money. However, I've heard that EEE is notoriously difficult (from a straight-A classmate who dropped out of EEE after 2 years because he couldn't cope), so I'm considering taking the first year just to be safe.

For those familiar with the degree, what do you guys think I should do? What did you do in Year 1 and how difficult was it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure it depends upon the university. At mine, you weren't even accepted into the EE program until second year. First year was a standard curriculum common to all engineering students (not just electrical), and consisted of calculus, chemistry, physics, English/speech, computer programming, and maybe one other that I've forgotten.

Second year was when the EE-specific curriculum began, and if I recall correctly this included circuit analysis, digital design, more physics, more computer programming, more calculus/differential equations, some labs, and maybe an elective.

Yes, I believe this is so because it's a UK curriculum, where the actual degree takes 3 years. What I'm wondering is how much more difficult are the chemistry and physics when compared to O levels? I didn't take A levels. Is Chemistry even used in EEE?

Related to What do you do in Year 1 in EEE?

What do you do in Year 1 in EEE?

In Year 1 of an EEE (Electrical and Electronic Engineering) degree, students typically focus on building a strong foundation in fundamental engineering concepts and techniques. This includes a mix of theoretical and practical coursework, as well as laboratory projects and design exercises.

What topics are covered in Year 1 of EEE?

In Year 1, students can expect to study subjects such as circuit analysis, electronics, digital systems, programming, mathematics, and physics. They will also have the opportunity to work on real-world projects to apply their knowledge and skills.

Do I need any prior knowledge or experience in EEE to succeed in Year 1?

No, Year 1 courses are designed to provide a strong foundation for students with varying levels of prior knowledge and experience in EEE. However, having a strong background in math and physics can be helpful.

What kind of skills can I expect to develop in Year 1 of EEE?

Students in Year 1 of EEE will develop a variety of skills, including problem-solving, critical thinking, analytical skills, and hands-on experience with equipment and software commonly used in the field. They will also learn to work in teams and communicate effectively.

What are the career prospects for EEE graduates after completing Year 1?

EEE is a highly versatile and in-demand field, and graduates from Year 1 can pursue a wide range of career paths in industries such as telecommunications, power systems, electronics, and computer hardware and software development. They may also continue their studies in advanced EEE programs.