What Do You Need to Understand About Kinematics to Solve Collision Problems?

• Thread starter phoizgood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation is about understanding a physics question involving two cars and the possibility of a collision. The question asks whether the cars will collide and if so, at what time and distance. The conversation also discusses the conditions for a collision and how to find the areas under a speed vs. time graph. Overall, the conversation focuses on visualizing the problem and understanding the concepts involved.
phoizgood
I need help understanding this question. I don't need the answer or anything, I just want some help visualizing, what's going on, what do I need to know, how do I get there, etc. Am I being confusing?

Speedy Sue, driving at 30.0 m/s, enters a one-lane tunnel. She then observes a slow-moving van 155 m ahead traveling at 5.00 m/s. Sue applies her brakes but can accelerate only at -2.00 m/s^2 because the road is wet. Will there be a collision? If yes, determine how far into the tunnel and at what time the collision occurs. If no, determine the distance of cloest approach between Sue's car and the van.

Am I suppose to find when the two car is same distance or something?? Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
phoizgood said:
I need help understanding this question. I don't need the answer or anything, I just want some help visualizing, what's going on, what do I need to know, how do I get there, etc. Am I being confusing?

Speedy Sue, driving at 30.0 m/s, enters a one-lane tunnel. She then observes a slow-moving van 155 m ahead traveling at 5.00 m/s. Sue applies her brakes but can accelerate only at -2.00 m/s^2 because the road is wet. Will there be a collision? If yes, determine how far into the tunnel and at what time the collision occurs. If no, determine the distance of cloest approach between Sue's car and the van.

Am I suppose to find when the two car is same distance or something?? Please help me.
What is the condition for a collision?

If you plot speed vs. time for each vehicle, the area under the graph represents what quantity? Are those areas ever equal?

AM

"What is the condition for a collision?"

When the two car's X_final equals to each other? correct?

"If you plot speed vs. time for each vehicle, the area under the graph represents what quantity? Are those areas ever equal?"

speed vs time graph, area under graph is acceleration right? so what does having equal acceleration fits in this equation?

sorry for my bad english.

phoizgood said:
"What is the condition for a collision?"

When the two car's X_final equals to each other? correct?

Correct.

"If you plot speed vs. time for each vehicle, the area under the graph represents what quantity? Are those areas ever equal?"

speed vs time graph, area under graph is acceleration right?

No.

Without calculus:

Area=(length)(height)
On a speed vs time graph, length is time and height is speed.
What happens to the units when you multiply time by speed? What units do you end up with? What are those units used to measure?

FAQ: What Do You Need to Understand About Kinematics to Solve Collision Problems?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the three main components of kinematics?

The three main components of kinematics are position, velocity, and acceleration. Position describes the location of an object, velocity describes how fast an object is moving and in what direction, and acceleration describes how an object's velocity changes over time.

3. How is kinematics different from dynamics?

Kinematics focuses solely on the motion of objects, while dynamics takes into account the forces that cause the motion. In other words, kinematics is concerned with the "what" of motion, while dynamics is concerned with the "why" of motion.

4. What is a kinematic equation?

A kinematic equation is a mathematical formula that relates the three main components of kinematics (position, velocity, and acceleration) to each other. These equations can be used to solve for unknown variables in a given motion problem.

5. Why is kinematics important in physics?

Kinematics is important in physics because it provides a framework for understanding and describing the motion of objects. It allows us to make predictions about an object's future motion, analyze the motion of complex systems, and develop technologies that rely on motion, such as vehicles and machines.

Back