What do you think about engineering?

In summary, Engineering is the application of science to build useful things, as opposed to just designing the human-made world. This is supported by the quote "Scientists figure out the rules of the game and engineers play with it." Therefore, the speaker does not fully agree with the short definition of engineering provided.
Jingyi
Hi I am an engineering student from Singapore.
I am curious about engineering's definition.
"Engineering is the process of designing the human made world"
Do you, as an engineer agree to this short definition about engineering?
Why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Engineering is the application of science to build useful things.
One quote that comes to my mind (I don't remember who said it though) : "Scientists figure out the rules of the game and engineers play with it."

Last edited:
Avichal said:
Engineering is the application of science to build useful things.
One quote that comes to my mind (I don't remember who said it thought) : "Scientists figure out the rules of the game and engineers play with it."

oh ya! I also saw this quote before!
So can I said that you disagree with "engineering is the process of designing the human made world"?

Related to What do you think about engineering?

1. What is engineering?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes.

2. What do engineers do?

Engineers use their knowledge of science, math, and technology to solve problems and create solutions that improve our lives and society. They design and build everything from bridges and buildings to computer software and medical devices.

3. Is engineering a good career?

Engineering is a highly respected and well-paying career that offers a wide range of opportunities in various industries. It can be a challenging and rewarding career for those who are passionate about problem-solving and innovation.

4. What skills do you need to be an engineer?

Some essential skills for engineers include strong analytical and critical thinking abilities, attention to detail, teamwork, creativity, and strong math and science skills. Good communication and project management skills are also important.

5. Is engineering only for people good at math and science?

While having a strong foundation in math and science is essential for engineering, it is not the only requirement. Engineers also need excellent communication, problem-solving, and teamwork skills, which can be developed and improved over time.

Back