What Does ##ad-bc=0## Imply About Solutions to ##AX=0##?

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary: You can then see, in light of the given relationship between a, b, c, and d, how you can choose t so that x=pt and y=qt.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Consider the system ##AX=0##, where
$$A = \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \\ \end{bmatrix}$$
is a 2x2 matrix over the field F. Prove that if ##ad-bc=0## and some entry of ##A## is different from ##0##, then there is a solution ##(p,q)## such that ##(x,y)## is a solution if and only if there is some scalar ##t## such that ##x=pt## and ##y = qt##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I asked to find the vector ##(p,q)## for which the statement "##(x,y)## is a solution if and only if there is some scalar ##t## such that ##x=pt## and ##y = qt##" holds, or am I assuming that I have such a solution ##(p,q)## and proving that this statement?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Am I asked to find the vector ##(p,q)## for which the statement "##(x,y)## is a solution if and only if there is some scalar ##t## such that ##x=pt## and ##y = qt##" holds, or am I assuming that I have such a solution ##(p,q)## and proving that this statement?

Well, the problem doesn't ask you to find [itex](p,q)[/itex], only to show that if [itex](p,q)[/itex] is a solution, and [itex](x,y)[/itex] is a second solution, then there is some [itex]t[/itex] such that [itex]x=pt[/itex] and [itex]y=qt[/itex].

For a 2x2 matrix, it's easy enough to convert [itex]\left( \begin{array}\\ a & b \\ c & d \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array} \\ x \\ y \end{array} \right) = 0[/itex] into two ordinary (non-matrix) equations for [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] to see how the possible values of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] must be related.

FAQ: What Does ##ad-bc=0## Imply About Solutions to ##AX=0##?

1. What is a semantic/logical issue?

A semantic/logical issue is a problem or error in the meaning or reasoning of a statement, code, or argument. It can result in incorrect or unexpected outcomes.

2. What causes semantic/logical issues?

Semantic/logical issues can be caused by a variety of factors, such as incorrect assumptions, missing information, or flawed logic. They can also arise from human error or limitations in programming language.

3. How do you identify semantic/logical issues?

Semantic/logical issues can be identified through careful analysis and testing of the code or statement. This may involve tracing the logic flow, checking for any missing or incorrect information, or using debugging tools.

4. What are the consequences of not addressing semantic/logical issues?

If left unresolved, semantic/logical issues can lead to incorrect results, malfunctioning of systems, and even security vulnerabilities. They can also cause frustration and decrease user trust in the validity of the information or code.

5. How can semantic/logical issues be prevented?

To prevent semantic/logical issues, it is important to thoroughly plan and design the code or statement, and to test it extensively before implementation. It is also helpful to have multiple people review the code to catch any potential issues. Additionally, using good coding practices and following logic principles can help reduce the likelihood of these issues arising.