What Does dad^-1 Equal for Elements in a Left-Coset Outside C_G(a)?

From the definition of the left coset is it correct to say ##cS_G(a)=\{d~\epsilon~ G:\exists~ g ~\epsilon~ S_G(a):d=cg\}##so ##dad^{-1}=cgad^{-1}##...I think you might want to define ##S_G(a)##. But I don't think you need ##S_G(a)##. The coset ##cC_G(a)## is a set of elements, so you don't need to define a new set. The only thing you need to do is to figure out how to multiply elements of ##cC_G(a)## by each other. And the set ##cC_G(a
Lengalicious

Homework Statement

I need to determine [tex]dad^1[/tex] for each element d in the left-coset formed by acting on the elements in [tex]C_G(a)[/tex] with the element c such that c is not an element of the subgroup [tex]C_G(a)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand what the question is asking me to do? I'm fairly new to group theory and understand that d are the elements in the left-coset of the subgroup and that a is the fixed element of the group G but I'm not really familiar with [tex]d^1[/tex], why is there a 1 in the exponent of the element?

Can anyone start me off here? Or at least give me an outline of the goal?

Attachments

• Q5.png
    Q5.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess that it's a prime, not a 1. d and d' are just the notations they use for two different elements of that set. (Or is it perhaps ##d^{-1}##, the inverse of ##d##?)

Is that the full problem statement? What is the definition of ##C_G(a)##?

Lengalicious said:

Homework Statement

I need to determine [tex]dad^1[/tex]

Should that not be [itex]dad^{-1}[/itex]?

for each element d in the left-coset formed by acting on the elements in [tex]C_G(a)[/tex] with the element c such that c is not an element of the subgroup [tex]C_G(a)[/tex]

How does [itex]C_G(a)[/itex] relate to the element [itex]a[/itex]?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand what the question is asking me to do? I'm fairly new to group theory and understand that d are the elements in the left-coset of the subgroup and that a is the fixed element of the group G but I'm not really familiar with [tex]d^1[/tex], why is there a 1 in the exponent of the element?

I have updated the opening post with an attachment of the question, hopefully its more clear

It obviously meant to be the inverse (it's easier to lose a minus than misclick ' for 1)...
In any case, what you are asked to do is to find [itex]dad^{-1}[/itex] with [itex]a\in G[/itex] and [itex]d \in cG[/itex], c does not belong to a's centralizer, that means that it doesn't commute with a...
you should try to write d and d^-1 and check what you can do...

Likes 1 person
ChrisVer said:
It obviously meant to be the inverse (it's easier to lose a minus than misclick ' for 1)...
In any case, what you are asked to do is to find [itex]dad^{-1}[/itex] with [itex]a\in G[/itex] and [itex]d \in cG[/itex], c does not belong to a's centralizer, that means that it doesn't commute with a...

Thanks for the hints and clarification

ChrisVer said:

I'm really confused still, does the left coset commute with any of the elements? also does it obey any group axioms, or is this not relevant

Am I supposed to start with d or d^-1 = something and keep doing valid operations on it until i get to dad^-1 = something?

I'm also very confused by the problem statement. It appears to have at least one more typo.

The first thing you need to do is to write down the definitions of the relevant sets. The only difficulty is that the problem statement is so confusing. I would guess that "some element cG" actually means "some element ##c\in G##". I don't think it can mean "some element of cG", because ##cG=\{cg|g\in G\}=G##. (For all ##g\in G##, we have ##g=c(c^{-1}g)\in cG##).

Is there a different definition for a coset of a centralizer vs a coset of a standard subgroup? And I think you are correct about the 2nd typo, I have emailed my professor to check though.

I think it's this. Take an element ##a\in G## and define

[tex]C_G(a) = \{b\in G~\vert~ba=ab\}[/tex]

Take an element ##c\in G## such that ##c\notin C_G(a)##, then we consider the coset ##cC_G(a)##. The question is to calculate ##dad^{-1}## for each ##d\in cC_G(a)##. And with that, I think you need to show that ##dad^{-1}## does not depend on ##d\in C_G(a)##, but only of ##a## and ##c##.

micromass said:
I think it's this. Take an element ##a\in G## and define

[tex]C_G(a) = \{b\in G~\vert~ba=ab\}[/tex]

Take an element ##c\in G## such that ##c\notin C_G(a)##, then we consider the coset ##cC_G(a)##. The question is to calculate ##dad^{-1}## for each ##d\in cC_G(a)##. And with that, I think you need to show that ##dad^{-1}## does not depend on ##d\in C_G(a)##, but only of ##a## and ##c##.

Is this what I am finding? The conjugates of elements in the centralizer?

http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Conjugates_of_Elements_in_Centralizer

That's a very similar result. But I think we have told you enough to give the problem a shot now. I would recommend that you do it without looking at solutions of similar problems. Just write down the definitions of the sets mentioned in the problem statement, and then you're almost done.

Fredrik said:
That's a very similar result. But I think we have told you enough to give the problem a shot now. I would recommend that you do it without looking at solutions of similar problems. Just write down the definitions of the sets mentioned in the problem statement, and then you're almost done.

Of course, sorry, this is just the 1st ever problem I've attempted in group theory and its a struggle to get my head around.

From the definition of the left coset is it correct to say ##cS_G(a)=\{d~\epsilon~ G:\exists~ g ~\epsilon~ S_G(a):d=cg\}##

so ##dad^{-1}=cgad^{-1}## ?

Lengalicious said:
From the definition of the left coset is it correct to say ##cS_G(a)=\{d~\epsilon~ G:\exists~ g ~\epsilon~ S_G(a):d=cg\}##
Yes, but you can simplify the notation to ##cS_G(a)=\{cg:g\in S_G(a)\}##.

Lengalicious said:
so ##dad^{-1}=cgad^{-1}## ?
Good start, but you need to handle ##d^{-1}## as well.

Related to What Does dad^-1 Equal for Elements in a Left-Coset Outside C_G(a)?

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the algebraic structures known as groups. A group is a set of elements that are combined using a specific operation (such as multiplication or addition) and satisfy certain properties.

2. What are the basic properties of a group?

The basic properties of a group include closure (the result of combining two elements is also an element of the group), associativity (the order in which elements are combined does not matter), identity (there exists an element that does not change the value of other elements when combined with them), and inverse (every element has an inverse element that, when combined, gives the identity element).

3. How is group theory applied in science?

Group theory has various applications in science, including physics, chemistry, and computer science. It is used to study symmetries in physical systems, analyze molecular structures, and design efficient algorithms, among others.

4. What is the difference between a group and a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also satisfies the properties of a group. In other words, a subgroup is a smaller group within a larger group that shares the same properties and operation as the larger group.

5. Can groups have an infinite number of elements?

Yes, groups can have an infinite number of elements. For example, the set of all integers, with the operation of addition, forms an infinite group.