What Does "Electron Carrier" Mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the terminology of "electron carriers" and "carrier electrons", with specific references to their usage in biology and electrical systems. The term "electron carrier" refers to a molecule that can accept and donate electrons, while "carrier electrons" are the negatively charged particles that make up an electrical current. In the context of biology, an example of an electron carrier is nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+), which plays a role in redox reactions within cells. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the terminology in order to grasp the underlying physical concepts.
leoneri
Hi all, I have a very basic question. I see a lot of "electron carriers" or "carrier electrons" terminologies. What does they actually means?

Are they telling that electron as carrier for current? Because I thought that current is electrons that move from a point to another point, and that's it. I do not see that they 'carry' anything. Well, of course they have force such as from interaction between electrons etc., and they have energy. But, 'to carry' something??

I don't get it, is it just physics frenzy words or does this terminology actually have a physical meaning?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In what context is the term "carrier electrons" or "electron carrier" used?

In biology for example, an "electron carrier" is a molecule that can accept and donate electrons from and to various enzymes.
http://www.biochem.northwestern.edu/holmgren/Glossary/Definitions/Def-E/electron_carrier.html

A molecule capable of accepting one (or more than one) electrons from another molecule (electron donor), and then ferry these electrons to donate to another during the process of electron transport.

Supplement

Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) is an example of electron carrier. It carries electrons in redox reactions within the cells.
http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Electron_carriers

Electron transport chain - http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/596electransport.html

In electrical systems, the electron is a (-) negative charge carrier. The current is simply the flow of electrons in a 'conductor'. Note that the electrical current (a vector) points in the opposite direction of flow of electrons, because someone long ago determined that 'current' is the flow of + charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your explanation. Now I understand what it means by 'carrier'. It is true that it depends on the context. The reason when I asked this is related to transistor. It was mention that 'electron is carrying current', some people say that electron is the carrier. So it all depends on what being carried and what carried it. Really .. sometimes a simple terminology could make a huge difference in the physical concept. So, thanks again.

Related to What Does "Electron Carrier" Mean?

What does "electron carrier" mean?

Electron carriers are molecules that are responsible for transporting electrons during cellular respiration and photosynthesis. They play a crucial role in the production of energy in living organisms.

What are some examples of electron carriers?

Some examples of electron carriers include NADH, FADH2, and cytochromes. NADH and FADH2 are involved in cellular respiration, while cytochromes are found in the electron transport chain during photosynthesis.

How do electron carriers work?

Electron carriers work by accepting and donating electrons in a series of redox reactions. They act as intermediates between the energy-containing molecules and the final electron acceptor, generating a proton gradient that is used to produce ATP.

Why are electron carriers important?

Electron carriers are important because they are essential for the production of energy in living organisms. They allow for the efficient transfer of energy from food molecules to ATP, which is the main energy currency of the cell.

What happens to electron carriers after they donate their electrons?

After donating their electrons, electron carriers are typically regenerated through various metabolic pathways. For example, NADH can be converted back to NAD+ through the electron transport chain, while FADH2 can be converted back to FAD through the Krebs cycle.