What does "In" mean in a RL Circuit Time Constant Formula?

• Thread starter bryanehli
  • Start date
In summary, the "In" in an equation like t=T*LN(E/Vl) stands for "natural logarithm" and relates to 'e' and 'e^(Ln(x))'. This equation can be rewritten to avoid confusion as t=T*LN(E/Vl) where 't' is in milliseconds and 'LN' is natural logarithm. This equation can be used to calculate values such as t in milliseconds for an electrical circuit.
bryanehli
What does "In" equal?

In a RL circuir time constant formula what does the "In" indicate? This is probably very simple but it has got me stumped. Such as t=TIn(E/Vl). All help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to Homework Help forums.

Welcome to the PF, Bryan. I'm not sure what your equation represents. As described at this web page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_constant

the time constant for an LR circuit is L/R. Could you please review that web page, and then if you still have a question, please post more information about the equation you are asking about.

ln stands for "natural logarithm". It looks like you have a letter "I" rather than lower case "L" in In. It should be ln, or Ln, or LN.

On my calculator, LOG stands for base 10 logarithms and LN stands for natural logarithms.

So your formula might be rewritten to avoid confusion as t=T*LN(E/Vl)

RL circuit formula?

Could someone explain to me this formula?

t=T1n(E/Vl)

example:

t=(7.5ms)1n(20v/14.57v)=2.38ms.

I get 20/14.57=1.372683596
(7.5)(1.372683596)=10.29512697
where and how do you get 2.38, where does the 1n fall in and how? is there a numerical value for this statement? Please help?

the electrician already explained. its called natural log. In your calculator natural log.
Its not 'In', the symbol is Ln, or some people write L as 'l', and unfortunately 'l' looks like 'I'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_logarithm

hopefully you already understand this bryanehli, if not... a little further help...

Ln relates to 'e' and hopefully you recognize that. if not... look in a book.

e^(Ln(x)) = x
Ln(e) = 1

Another interesting thing about e, aka Euler's Number, is this:

f(x) = e^x
f ' (x) = e^x

FAQ: What does "In" mean in a RL Circuit Time Constant Formula?

1. What is "In" in the RL circuit time constant formula?

"In" in the RL circuit time constant formula represents the natural logarithm of the initial current divided by the final current value.

2. How is "In" calculated in the RL circuit time constant formula?

"In" is calculated by taking the natural logarithm of the ratio of the initial current and the final current value. This can be written as In = ln(I0/If).

3. Why is "In" used in the RL circuit time constant formula?

"In" is used in the RL circuit time constant formula to account for the decaying nature of the current in an RL circuit. It helps to calculate the time it takes for the current to decrease to a certain percentage of its initial value.

4. What is the significance of "In" in the RL circuit time constant formula?

The value of "In" in the RL circuit time constant formula helps to determine the time constant, which is a measure of how quickly the current changes in the circuit. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior of an RL circuit over time.

5. Can "In" be replaced with any other value in the RL circuit time constant formula?

No, "In" cannot be replaced with any other value in the RL circuit time constant formula. It is a unique factor that is derived from the natural logarithm and is necessary for accurately calculating the time constant in an RL circuit.