What does it mean by 1 amu? The mass of a proton?

In summary, you have posted several questions on this forum which have very simple answers. Simple as in the sense, browsing through the book or Google or thinking clearly could have solved them. However, in your profile it says that you have completed undergrad in Bsc. Maybe these questions suit a person who has completed a degree?
HCverma
Member advised to do at least some basic research before posting
What does it mean by 1 amu? the mass of a proton or a neutron or an electron? If the mass of O is 16 amu, then what makes 16 amu in O atom? 16 protons or 16 neutrons or 16 electrons?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There is a clear and unambiguous definition of the amu, have you checked it?

Likes russ_watters
Borek said:
There is a clear and unambiguous definition of the amu, have you checked it?
Where is the definition? I don't see it. Could you provide the link, please?

HCverma said:
Where is the definition? I don't see it. Could you provide the link, please?

I don't quite understand why you did not google this. Is there a reason why?

Zz.

HCverma said:
What does it mean by 1 amu? the mass of a proton or a neutron or an electron? If the mass of O is 16 amu, then what makes 16 amu in O atom? 16 protons or 16 neutrons or 16 electrons?
I would recommend Googling: unified atomic mass unit

And when you find the entry at Wikipedia, pay close attention to one word; "One unified atomic mass unit is approximately the mass of one nucleon"

As, if you do some maths, you will find that Oxygen-16's mass isn't quite what the masses of Oxygen-16's protons, neutrons, and electrons, add up to.

In other words, 1 amu is NOT based on the individual masses of the protons, neutrons, and electrons.

ZapperZ said:
I don't quite understand why you did not google this. Is there a reason why?

Zz.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

HCverma said:
1 amu is a reference taken by scientists to measure the mass of elements. Actally 1 amu=1/12th mass of one C-12 isotope and 1amu=1.66 *10-24grams

Inderjeet Singh1208 said:
1 amu is a reference taken by scientists to measure the mass of elements. Actally 1 amu=1/12th mass of one C-12 isotope and 1amu=1.66 *10-24grams

... which is something one can easily find with a simple googling. It was why I asked the OP why he didn't do this in the first place. His response appears to look as if this was not even something that he thought of doing, which I find rather puzzling.

Zz.

Likes Inderjeet Singh1208
@HCverma

I cannot help but notice a pattern on your postings.

You have posted several questions on this forum which have very simple answers. Simple as in the sense, browsing through the book or Google or thinking clearly could have solved them.

Yet in your profile it says that you have completed undergrad in Bsc.

Do these questions suit a person who has completed a degree?

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/in-circular-motion-what-does-it-mean-s-r-th.952979/

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...something-having-of-mass.952560/#post-6035200

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...lorophyll-is-it-possible.952553/#post-6034721

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...h4-and-1-molecule-of-ch4.952196/#post-6031717

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/when-the-nucleus-of-h-atom-is-neutral.953581/

Maybe you can clarify to prove me wrong?

Else I would say that this warning is fair and you should clear your basic concepts first before rushing to PF to post problems.

Last edited:

Related to What does it mean by 1 amu? The mass of a proton?

What does it mean by 1 amu?

1 amu stands for atomic mass unit, which is a unit of mass used to measure the mass of atoms and molecules. It is equal to 1/12th of the mass of a carbon-12 atom.

What is the mass of a proton?

The mass of a proton is approximately 1 atomic mass unit (amu). This means that it is about 1/12th the mass of a carbon-12 atom.

How is the mass of a proton determined?

The mass of a proton is determined through experiments using techniques such as mass spectrometry or X-ray crystallography. It is also calculated based on its relative mass compared to other particles, such as electrons and neutrons.

Why is the mass of a proton important?

The mass of a proton is important because it is used as a reference point for measuring the masses of other particles. It also plays a crucial role in determining the overall mass of an atom, which affects its chemical and physical properties.

Are there any other units of mass used to measure protons?

Yes, there are other units of mass used to measure protons, such as kilograms and grams. However, for atomic and subatomic particles, the atomic mass unit (amu) is the most commonly used unit of measurement.