What does it mean to connect something to a potential V?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of connecting a spherical shell to a potential V0 and the process of calculating the electric field and charge distribution in this scenario. The speaker suggests using Poisson's equation to find the potential outside the shell and then equating it with the potential produced by a charge density σ in the shell. The conversation also mentions the need to properly describe the situation and solve for the charge Q using the given potential V0.
carllacan
Hi.

I know how to work with potentials and how to solve problems involving them, but what exactly does it mean that we connect something (say, a spherical shell) to a potential V0? What is "actually" happening?

My guess is charges are "pumped" from some source to the material until an electric field in the radial direction is created such that the potential difference between the shell and infinity is V0. But if I were asked to calculate the expression for that electric field I would be at a loss, since I can't use E = -∇V.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
what exactly does it mean that we connect something (say, a spherical shell) to a potential V0? What is "actually" happening?
Physically it means that we arrange for the potential in the positions occupied by the shell to have the stated potential ... this could be done by hooking it to the positive terminal of a power supply or by putting it inside a carefully designed capacitor or some other means. The actual methods can be arbitrarily complicated. We put it like that because we don't want you to get distracted by the details of the means used to achieve that.
I were asked to calculate the expression for that electric field I would be at a loss, since I can't use E = -∇V.
Why not?

Likes carllacan
Sorry, I actually meant to say I couldn't get the displacement field D.

The only way to obtain it is to know the polarization of the dielectric or the free charges inside, and in this case I know neither, so I don't know how to go from the potential to D, unless I somehow go first from the potential to the free charges.

Note: The polarization comes in response to an electric field - what is the electric field inside a uniformly charged spherical shell?

You can calculate the potential everywhere outside the shell - from there you get the free charge distribution on the shell.
It may help to consider Poisson's equation.

Likes carllacan
Simon Bridge said:
Note: The polarization comes in response to an electric field - what is the electric field inside a uniformly charged spherical shell?

You can calculate the potential everywhere outside the shell - from there you get the free charge distribution on the shell.
It may help to consider Poisson's equation.

Oh, that sounds really good. I had thought of using Poisson (or image charges) to find V outside the shell, but not to get the actual charge distribution.

Let me check if I have it right: I need to find V(r) outside the shell using Poisson (or image charges) and then equate it to the V'(r) that would be produced by a charge density σ in the shell. Once I have that I can get σ and then I can "forget" about the potential V0 and do the rest as if I had been given σ from the beginning. What troubles me is: can I really forget about V0? Have I, by means of getting σ, accounted for all the ways it interacts with the dielectric?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate your help.

You issue is more that you have not properly described the situation ... you started just by saying that a conducting shell is connected to a potential V0.
i.e. ##V(R)-V(\infty) = V_0## where R is the radius of the shell. You never said anything about what was inside the shell.

No need to solve the DE - it's been done for you many times: For a spherical shell charge Q and radius R, the potential is given by:
##V(r>R)=Q/4\pi\epsilon_0 r##

Given ##V(R)=V_0## and ##r=R##, solve for Q:
##Q=4\pi\epsilon_0 RV_0##

Note: The electric field inside a closed conducting shell is zero - so there is no reason to find any polarization charges there.

Related to What does it mean to connect something to a potential V?

1. What does it mean to connect something to a potential V?

Connecting something to a potential V means connecting it to a source of electrical potential, also known as voltage. This allows for the flow of electric charge between the source and the connected object.

2. How is potential V measured?

Potential V, or voltage, is measured in volts (V). This is a unit of electric potential or potential difference, which indicates the amount of work needed to move a unit of electric charge between two points.

3. What is the purpose of connecting something to a potential V?

The purpose of connecting something to a potential V is to provide a source of electrical energy for the object. This allows for the completion of an electrical circuit, which can power devices or perform other functions such as charging batteries.

4. Can anything be connected to a potential V?

In theory, any object can be connected to a potential V as long as it is conductive. However, it is important to consider the voltage and current requirements of the object to ensure it is not damaged by the connection.

5. What happens if an object is connected to a potential V with the wrong polarity?

If an object is connected to a potential V with the wrong polarity, the flow of electric charge will be reversed. This can cause damage to the object or disrupt the intended function of the circuit. It is important to always ensure proper polarity when connecting objects to a potential V.